Do we really need NAS's these days when you can stream everything through Netflix, Spotify etc?

Permabanned
Until my favourite shows and movies can be streamed in full bluray quality for both video and audio from services like Netflix i'll keep using mine. It's the audio that bugs me the most tbh.

Associate
Yeah what about home movies photos etc...that you want to share around the house?

Naps or home server is where it's at.

Good point. Mine is my HTPC with 3 physical drives so not strictly a NAS. The point is I use it for a lot more than storage

Media centre obviously
Plex media server (for the ios devices in the house or for when we are away)
Minecraft server
Team Speak Server

I did try netflix for a while but the movie choice is just shocking. The timings need to be on par with retail releases at the very least for me to be interested again (did the media industry really learn nothing from the early days of mp3?)

Soldato
Personally streaming is no good for me, I want films in the highest possible quality with the HD audio intact and music in lossless format.

I don't think anyone currently offers it. Last time I tried streaming a film it was awful.

As already mentioned above a few times, quality is probably the most important reason for me to have my own media locally.

This for me

Previously it was more.. Ie. 1mbit inet made it a must (fibre this next month.. Yay)
But you can't properly stream 1080p full HD DTS MA 5.1

So blu ray rips it is

All these points for me. It irks me when i have good quality floorstanders and surround speakers yet my AV receiver or speakers aren't being used to their full potential, so i go with high quality 5.1 / 7.1 local media stored on hdd's.

It amazes me how many people spend a grand on a telly, yet they only use their crappy tv speakers or some crap £150 HTIB system. The way i see it is, if you spend that amount of dosh on the picture, do it justice and have good audio along with high quality content to watch. Why settle for less

Last edited:
Associate
All these points for me. It irks me when i have good quality floorstanders and surround speakers yet my AV receiver or speakers aren't being used to their full potential, so i go with high quality 5.1 / 7.1 local media stored on hdd's.

It amazes me how many people spend a grand on a telly, yet they only use their crappy tv speakers or some crap £150 HTIB system. The way i see it is, if you spend that amount of dosh on the picture, do it justice and have good audio along with high quality content to watch. Why settle for less

Totally agree. My home theatre setup is by no means top grade (costing less than £6000... I think), but I know that it will only sound as good as it can, if I feed it the absolute best quality. I stream absolutely nothing from outside my own NAS/Server setup, and that's how it will stay. I've got an Enigma2 satellite, so anything I record and want to keep, is just transferred straight onto the NAS for future playback.

NAS just makes things more flexible with your own content, I mean, configure it right, and you can stream your own stuff around the world, so you can take it all on holiday with you. :D

Caporegime

I'd rather have an average TV and killer speakers than the other way around.
But it wasn't until I got my first floorstanders I was converted
Bigger outlay than the tv
Amp + 5 speakers (or 7) + sub + cable + hours of searching
But they last. And hold their value more

I see it same as spending 2k on a tri gpu pc and bunging on a monitor half the price of one gpu

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes.

3681718386.png

I've used a few and Netflix is the only one that can reliably give me a 720p stream, providing nobody else is using the internet at the time. It'd be great if these services would allow you to pre-buffer or download but I guess they have no need to.

I know this feel. The quality of netflix per mb download is far better than iplayer and 4oD.

The only reason I used shared storage is for downloads of videos etc because my connection is crap.

Caporegime
You really don't want to be reliant on a streaming service that could vanish into the ether at any point in time, and is subject to your internet connection working properly. Cloud based storage is good as an additional backup in the event of a fire or flood, it's not suitable as a primary storage method because it's out of your control.

Back
Top Bottom