Do you bay leaf bro?

Soldato
My jar of dried bay leaves is empty. I made another cottage pie where I normally drop a couple of leaves in while it's all stewing. Frankly, I didn't notice anything missing in flavour without them. I was going to buy some more but not sure if it's worthwhile. Do any of you feel bay leaves make a significant difference, or any difference at all?

Soldato
OP
Been wondering this myself. Have thought about boiling a few leaves and tasting the result.

Yeah, I read an article about bay leaves, all about doubters like us, which says

"When the herb is infused into water, broth, or another cooking liquid, an almost minty flavor (somewhere between spearmint and menthol) develops, with subtle hints of black pepper and Christmas tree pine. They add a subtle bitterness that keeps heavy soups and stews. People are stubborn. We are too. If you still have your doubts, take some (not ancient) bay leaves and boil them in a bit of water. Let the water cool, remove the bay leaves, and take a sip of that brew. You’ll get that bay leaf flavor."

I dunno, I guess I could try that. I'm not convinced it's an essential herb, yet it almost seems like sacrilege not to include bay leaves in cooking.

Soldato
OP
Apart from Joey, I'm guessing people read the thread title but not the opening post. The main question remains unanswered.

"Do any of you feel bay leaves make a significant difference, or any difference at all?"

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks Placid, I simmer and reduce mine over about 30 minutes, maybe I'll add mine towards the end instead of the beginning of the simmer.

Hmm yeah jpaul, I'm only using two leaves, maybe I should add a few more. Also, would buying Schwartz give more flavour than standard supermarket own?
That's a lot of leaves you have there! The jars I buy are only 3g, lol.

Soldato
OP
Also, keep dried leaves out of direct sunlight and sealed from the air, like all herbs and spices. They lose flavour over time too. But fresh is best.

Dried leaves can be frozen. I put my jar in the freezer.
Also, dried has the advantage of longer storage.

"While the flavor results of fresh vs. dried bay leaves are not that different, fresh bay leaves are often much more expensive and do not last as long as dried bay leaves."

Back
Top Bottom