Do you bay leaf bro?

Soldato
My jar of dried bay leaves is empty. I made another cottage pie where I normally drop a couple of leaves in while it's all stewing. Frankly, I didn't notice anything missing in flavour without them. I was going to buy some more but not sure if it's worthwhile. Do any of you feel bay leaves make a significant difference, or any difference at all?

Soldato
OP
Been wondering this myself. Have thought about boiling a few leaves and tasting the result.

Yeah, I read an article about bay leaves, all about doubters like us, which says

"When the herb is infused into water, broth, or another cooking liquid, an almost minty flavor (somewhere between spearmint and menthol) develops, with subtle hints of black pepper and Christmas tree pine. They add a subtle bitterness that keeps heavy soups and stews. People are stubborn. We are too. If you still have your doubts, take some (not ancient) bay leaves and boil them in a bit of water. Let the water cool, remove the bay leaves, and take a sip of that brew. You’ll get that bay leaf flavor."

I dunno, I guess I could try that. I'm not convinced it's an essential herb, yet it almost seems like sacrilege not to include bay leaves in cooking.

Associate
....Do you bay leaf bro?....

I have no idea what you're talking about, are you my brother?? or are you using incoherent Millennial talk??

If you mean "Do you use Bay Leaf in your cooking?" then the answer is yes.

Soldato
....Do you bay leaf bro?....

I have no idea what you're talking about, are you my brother?? or are you using incoherent Millennial talk??

If you mean "Do you use Bay Leaf in your cooking?" then the answer is yes.
That was my initial thought of the title as well.
I also use bay leaves but mostly the Indian variety.

Soldato
OP
Apart from Joey, I'm guessing people read the thread title but not the opening post. The main question remains unanswered.

"Do any of you feel bay leaves make a significant difference, or any difference at all?"

Last edited:
Soldato
Of late I’ve started using bay again regularly and yes I definitely notice the scent and flavour. It does drop off on a long cook so if it’s a long one I put it later on.

Soldato
if you want the bay flavour to infuse prepare the 'stew' one day and use it the next after cooling, its the same with adding them in currys,
adding more leaves always helps too
... still getting through a big bag of 250g from buywholefoods.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Placid, I simmer and reduce mine over about 30 minutes, maybe I'll add mine towards the end instead of the beginning of the simmer.

Hmm yeah jpaul, I'm only using two leaves, maybe I should add a few more. Also, would buying Schwartz give more flavour than standard supermarket own?
That's a lot of leaves you have there! The jars I buy are only 3g, lol.

Soldato
Can't say I've compared as I prefer other herbs/spices, but I'd suggest fresh is a good shout. Have several friends with bay growing in their garden and it's quite rich smelling. Whereas dried stuff seems tame.

One mate prunes his bay branches and dries them on the shed roof. In the summer we use it as kindling for the barbecue and it smells great!

Soldato
"Do any of you feel bay leaves make a significant difference, or any difference at all?"

They are slightly floral and a bit aromatic, they dont make a significant difference to the flavour for me. I have several bay trees and they are super easy to grow so I never omit the leaves if they are called for though.

Soldato
I always tear from the edge towards the stalk a couple of times on each side to be sure to get more flavour out. It's particularly important with dried leaves. Also, keep dried leaves out of direct sunlight and sealed from the air, like all herbs and spices. They lose flavour over time too. But fresh is best. Pick the older leaves from lower down, they have most flavour.

With fresh ones I sometimes cut the flesh away from the stem, then chop, and grind in a pestle with sea salt. This really maxes out the flavour.

Caporegime
Also, bay leaves don;t last forever so these big bags that cost nothing typically means then over half has to get thrown away or you end up with truly truly green fibre.

When not too old they add a subtle flavor, can easily be overpowered. useful in say a basic vegetable soup. Since they are cheap then there is little reason not to.

Soldato
I always tear from the edge towards the stalk a couple of times on each side to be sure to get more flavour out. It's particularly important with dried leaves. Also, keep dried leaves out of direct sunlight and sealed from the air, like all herbs and spices. They lose flavour over time too. But fresh is best. Pick the older leaves from lower down, they have most flavour.

With fresh ones I sometimes cut the flesh away from the stem, then chop, and grind in a pestle with sea salt. This really maxes out the flavour.

Soldato
cardammom seem particularly prone to drying out, you open a pod and the seeds aren't black, so I pay more attention to buying them now.

even for other dried herbs/spice usually buy online, from folks with a big turnover and commercial customers.,
radio 4 programme a while back disclosed how schwarz and other brands may have been in the bottle/light for several years pre-purchase.

Back
Top Bottom