Do you bother backing up recorded TV?

Associate
Of those of you that can back up your recordings (i.e. I have heard that it is possible, with Sky, but very difficult) - do you bother?

I record TV, via TVHeadend on a server, and have amassed many Terrabytes of TV/Movies that I either wanted to keep or have get round to watching.

As various series have become available online (Netflix or 4OD, in particular), I have deleted these but I still have loads of stuff that isn't available online.

A great deal of this stuff could probably be bought, for very little, on DVD from the usual places.

Furthermore, some of the TV will probably be shown again.

However, it remains that some of the earlier recordings will probably not be available to me but on my hard drive.

I was just wondering whether people bother backing up replaceable media (i.e. not personal photos etc.) these days.

Potentially, I do have the capability to back up to a server but I don't bother - given that an hour recording in HD can amount to 5GB, it would be too much of a faff each night.

Associate
I have for many years but I only really keep stuff that is not readily available at a minimum on DVD or is just too hard to find otherwise. I also written a DVR PHP script a few years back to automate the process so I don't have to manually scower through an EPG each time. I just enter the programs I want it to record into a text file and it will then record it if it ever finds any channel airing it.

Back
Top Bottom