Do you have/use a steamer

Associate
Hi all

As per the threat title... Id be interested to know if you have a built in dedicated steamer and if so do you use it and what for how often etc?

We are buying new appliances for a new kitchen and can't decide if I should get the more expensive full sized steamer vs the compact one here:

http://www.neff-home.com/uk/productlist/ovens-compact-ovens/compact-ovens/steamer/C17DR02N0B - Compact

http://www.neff-home.com/uk/product...47FS34N0B?breadcrumb=steamappliancessteamoven Full sized one

The full sized one does seem to have a lot more features but I think they are all to do with the 'oven' element of the equipment. I won't be using it as an oven as I already have a dedicated oven so not sure it warrants the extra cost.

Thoughts welcome!

Soldato
We considered it when speccing the new kitchen but decided against it and went for 2 of these Smeg ovens instead.

For years we've steamed veg so we stuck with using one of these instead. It's brilliant, usually we have broccoli in one compartment, peas in one and carrots in another. We have cooked rice in there a few times but the results are a bit variable so we tend to use it only for veg now.

Soldato
as you say for vegetable, a standalone seems easier or saucepan steaming trivet ... need to buy new dishes for steaming veg in a cooker, can you test them for 'done' w/o letting all the steam out too, if you do regular large dinner parties maybe.

(Maybe you did) Is an integrated microwave something to prioritize above a steam oven

Improved bread baking (French type baguettes) seems the compelling argument if you were really into that(a semi pro) but a pan of water maybe just as good, or a bread maker I use bi-weekly.

Soldato
What's wrong with a steamer that you just stick on the hob? Will outlive anything listed above.

Nothing but I prefer the electric one I have.

I can shiove all the veg into the baskets at once, set different steam times for them all and leave it. If carrots take 27 minutes, broccoli takes 20 minutes and peas take 8 minutes (from memory I think that's right) then it'll start the carrots when I push go, 7 minutes later it'll start the broccoli and then 12 minutes after that the peas start.

When the time is up it'll keep the food warm.

Soldato
I use bamboo steamers on a wok, as the main things i steam are siopao, leche flan, dumplings and other eastern dishes (although it works well enough for veg). They are brilliant and unlike the metal hob sieve style steamers, they dont let make any steamed 'dough dishes' soggy.

Soldato
I use bamboo steamers on a wok, as the main things i steam are siopao, leche flan, dumplings and other eastern dishes (although it works well enough for veg). They are brilliant and unlike the metal hob sieve style steamers, they dont let make any steamed 'dough dishes' soggy.

i have one too but never use it. i want to make some dumplings as recently have got really into them.

Soldato
They are good and add a subtle aroma to the dishes cooked in them. You can get bamboo steamers with a steel casing but to be honest, the standard ones are pretty strong and the outside does not get hot, so i see no reason for the steel and bamboo steamers except for aesthetics

Associate
OP
We considered it when speccing the new kitchen but decided against it and went for 2 of these Smeg ovens instead.

For years we've steamed veg so we stuck with using one of these instead. It's brilliant, usually we have broccoli in one compartment, peas in one and carrots in another. We have cooked rice in there a few times but the results are a bit variable so we tend to use it only for veg now.

Is this machine big enough to do fish in?

How do you guys steam your cod etc?

Soldato
papilotte usually.

I did read an interesting comment that confounded what I thought were the bread baking benefits

My understanding was you needed steam to elasticize the dough through the oven spring. My sourdough boules take 4 to 5 minutes to complete that cycle.
Yes, between 15 and 30 seconds depending on the bread. 4-5 minutes of steaming would ruin any bread I bake in the ovens I use, but they're commercial ovens that cost tens of thousands of dollars. Your situation may be different.

If your bread hasn't "sprung" in the first 30 seconds your oven is probably too cold.

Soldato
Is this machine big enough to do fish in?

If you remove the divider between the 2 smaller baskets then you end up with 2 baskets that are approximately 29x13 so if your fish will fit in there then you can steam it.

Personally I don't steam cod, I pan fry it.

Back
Top Bottom