Do you keep your motherboard UEFI / BIOS up to date?

Soldato
I used to when I had Asus boards but I am lagging behind a version with this Gigabyte as I need to steel myself before flashing and going back into the horrible bios to re-enter my settings.
In exactly the same position with one of my Gigabyte boards. I'm 5 bios' behind so I suppose I'll take the plunge. Gulp!

Man of Honour
@MartinPrince If you are having problems running your memory with the XMP profile on a Z390 board it has been fixed in the latest couple of bios releases so it's worth flashing now. There have been a lot of stability fixes as well. The correct memory slots for a pair of sticks is A2 and B2 according to the footnote at the end of the QVL list on Gigabytes website. Pity they couldn't be bothered to stick that vital information in the manual as it would have saved me a lot of bother!!

Soldato
@MartinPrince If you are having problems running your memory with the XMP profile on a Z390 board it has been fixed in the latest couple of bios releases so it's worth flashing now. There have been a lot of stability fixes as well. The correct memory slots for a pair of sticks is A2 and B2 according to the footnote at the end of the QVL list on Gigabytes website. Pity they couldn't be bothered to stick that vital information in the manual as it would have saved me a lot of bother!!
Thanks for the heads up. I'm about a year behind so I think I will take the plunge. Just taking some snaps of my bios settings. ;)

Soldato
No I only update it if I am having problems with stuff.. I find if you overclock your system and you update the bios, the overclocking settings are at different values, even though they are correct in the bios.

Soldato
For a newly released board I tend to do the first three or so because they often feature a lot of stability and compatibility improvements. The first release on a new board can be a bit beta.

Soldato
That depends on many things. On a workstation or server I don’t usually rush in and do new BIOS updates after initially deploying unless it’s specifically relevant or a critical fix. That said part of my upgrade policy is to ensure latest BIOS is used and running fine prior to any hardware being upgraded or a system being stood down. For my play things, when Ryzen launched for example, it was a new and largely untested platform (outside of a lab), those early BIOS updates brought with them many minor fixes/updates/compatibility improvements and I regularly updated.

Back
Top Bottom