Do you know anyone on the autistic spectrum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Do you know anyone, or do you yourself have this condition? I'm asking because I think I do. Now, I know it's a common thing on the internet for people to say they have "assburgers", but I genuinely think I do.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
It's a little tricky, if you go to the doc and get diagnosed it may have an impact on your career (Getting a job, ect). It really does depend on your situation, but I was pretty unfortunate. Then again, you may want to put your mind at rest.

It almost certainly won't impact on it at all, though I am not sure I see what you would get out of it bar a label.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;18417667 said:
It almost certainly won't impact on it at all, though I am not sure I see what you would get out of it bar a label.

Indeed. There is no "treatment" for it, and arguably it is not a 'disease', and the negative stereotype would be harmful.

Soldato
My girlfriends brother has Aspergers syndrome. Great lad and recently had a cleaning job, although the contract ended not so long ago. He is now out of work. From what I have been told by the family it can be hard to get a job in certain industries, I am not 100% clued up on what though.

His ability is art. He can draw pictures with super detail, mostly cartoony a little like the old postcards you get at the seaside years ago with rude humour on them. That sort of style but not rude. He attended an art fair thing last year and got some interest. I think he sold one or two for a few hundred quid.

Also my sister's son has a form of Autism. The doctors are not sure what form it is but he is phenomenal at 'dates'. You can say to him 'when did Ben Hur come out at the cinema?' and he would reel off the exact day and time it was shown in whatever City then proceed to mention what 'famous' people at the time attended the Premier then on to the European release of the film etc. Fantastic.

He currently works/helps at the bakery where his dad works. I was told he is a good worker too.

Permabanned
Interestingly, some of the habits of people on these forums seem to me like they might fit somewhere on the autism spectrum. The constant obsession with having perfect spelling and grammar seems abnormal, or spending hundreds of pounds and hours tweaking your hardware just to get an extra 5 FPS in one game. This is not normal!

:)

Soldato
Everyone is on the Autistic Spectrum... that's why it's a spectrum.
Autistic spectrum disorders, which presumably you mean, are much more common than diagnosed levels would have you believe. After a few people pointed out some of my autistic traits I did the AQ test and I register 35ish, this probably means under diagnosis I'd have an ASD but I function perfectly normally, the most problems it causes me is arguing with people.

While discussing it with my mum over xmas she pointed out that the majority of our family would probably register similar scores, we all, including the married in ones, display quite a lot of traits.

Take the test here, answering honestly, and you'll get an idea of where you register
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

Soldato
Interestingly, some of the habits of people on these forums seem to me like they might fit somewhere on the autism spectrum. The constant obsession with having perfect spelling and grammar seems abnormal, or spending hundreds of pounds and hours tweaking your hardware just to get an extra 5 FPS in one game. This is not normal!

:)
I'd imagine a lot of, especially the more techy, people on here would score an AQ suggesting they could have an ASD. It's a profession/interest that goes particularly well with people who like control over things and to be able to get things just right. My department at work is full of people with varying levels of autistic traits, central IT even more so.

Caporegime
There's a reason that self-diagnosed aspergers is a running joke on the internet. I don't mean to belittle the OP in any way, it's just that I'd be careful about listening to advice from those who haven't spoken to anyone with a clinical background themselves.

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;18417932 said:
There's a reason that self-diagnosed aspergers is a running joke on the internet. I don't mean to belittle the OP in any way, it's just that I'd be careful about listening to advice from those who haven't spoken to anyone with a clinical background themselves.

Indeed.

I only take that test semi-seriously, because the questions are so obviously worded that it's easy to score like a complete mentalist if you want to.

I score fairly high, and I believe that to be correct, but I could score as high or as low as I wanted if I put my mind to it.

Soldato
1. test is flawed

2. test is outdated

example: it asks whether you prefer people or things. As apparently if you have aspergers then you PREFER interacting with things. Thats bs. You see there are people who want to interact with people but its like they are in a frosted glass cage. They can vaguely see (some things are easier to "get" others pretty much impossible so logic is used) but not actually connect with other people. Its difficult to describe. Feels rather solipsistic.

But its nothing like being shy or awkward its more fundamental than that. Its like missing (as in Not present) certain building blocks of your life that others take for granted....you only know its missing coz of the weird looks you get haha....

Pretty much a medical thread though....

Associate
Hi` dont mean to be nosey ... please explain your situation

Long story but to sum it up:

1. Bullied out of school into a depression, few months later I got diagnosed with Aspergers.

2. House bound for nearly 3 years(still) with agoraphobia (Not been outside in 3 years, literally)

3. Missed out on GCSE's

4. Lost all contact with outside world, except for the internet

5. Lost all confidence in myself and future

6. Few things then happened that got me into web design, now on a two year web design course that could get me an apprenticeship when I'm a little older. (ALL paid for by my kind mother, who's losing her job soon)

7. Education department don't do jack s***, Zero help from anybody.

-Don't mean to jack the thread. :p

Also vonhelmet, I hear it all the time, people don't want aspies working for them. It's not the case all the time, but I hear a lot of stories from my mother as she talks to people in the same situation. - Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom