Do you let your Vista Sleep?

Soldato
Hi,

I have Vista Ultimate Retail, and opted for the 32bit install as some programs run slow in 64bit. Not that this matter, but I've told you know anyway :)

Well it would appear that Vista seems to promote putting your PC to sleep over shutting down altogehter (seeing that the shut down button puts the PC to sleep, and it takes 2 extra clicks to shut down), do you put your to sleep? Or shut it down?

I wouldn;t even ask this question as I think putting it to sleep is a fantastic idea, but a while back someone on here said that putting his XP to sleep screwed things up, and usually it would come out of sleep (went into a coma :) )? So it makes be dubious about doing it?

So just wanna know what you do? And is it bad for your system?

ta

Steve M

I would just tell it to hibernate every night, but I'm a poor student so save on the electricity bill by turning it off properly.

I do hibernate it if I'm just going out for a while though.

Also, if I did leave it on hibernate at night, I'd probably unplug the Power LED on my case - that tiny thing is surprisingly bright when the room's dark.

What do you mean Vista x64 runs programs slower? It just flicks the CPU into 32-bit mode for the 32-bit code and runs it entirely natively. According to most benchmarks it equals and even outperforms Vista x86.

With regards sleep, it's hybrid. It puts it into Standby, but also writes the contents of the RAM to HDD - just like Hibernate. You have the advantage of waking up quickly, but if the power cut out it could resume from hibernate without losing anything.

Vista has 2 different options - Hibernate is different from Sleep.

I don't think sleep writes to HDD and I dont think Hibernate can be woken from the Mouse etc. but Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

keogh said:
Well it would appear that Vista seems to promote putting your PC to sleep over shutting down altogehter (seeing that the shut down button puts the PC to sleep, and it takes 2 extra clicks to shut down), do you put your to sleep? Or shut it down?

You can change what the shutdown button does in power options.

csmager said:
What do you mean Vista x64 runs programs slower? It just flicks the CPU into 32-bit mode for the 32-bit code and runs it entirely natively. According to most benchmarks it equals and even outperforms Vista x86.

I'm basing this on Homesite+, I'm a web developer and use homesite all the time and in x64 it was dreadfully slow. Also copying files around the place took forever it seemed, and if I copied a file from place to place in homesite on x64 you would see the windows copying diagloue (and it stayed there for a while) whereas on x86 it does it instantly?

Maybe it not suppose to do that, but either way it did do it for me so I went to 32bit.

I never intended to install 64bit when I got my copy of Vista Ultimate anyway, but I though ah why not, if it screws up Ill install 32bit... and thats what I did :)

csmager said:
By default, it does - as I explained above. If you don't want it to (and make it far quicker to go to sleep), you can disable Hybrid Sleep in advanced power settings.

Strange, this option isn't available on mine :confused:

From Microsoft:

Microsoft said:
To turn on hybrid sleep

1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Power Options.
2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings under the selected plan.
3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.
4. On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow hybrid sleep, click On battery or Plugged in (or both), click the arrow, and then click Yes.
5. Click OK, and then click Save changes.

I never personally trust "sleep" or hybernate. Always fully power down

I personally think its good for Windows in general to reboot daily

Well, my Windows Xp Professional system at work stays on 24/7 never goes off. Reason is I always need it on. However, my Vista machine at home does go off every night. Not that I don't trust it, just it sometimes gives problems so would rather just turn it off at night.

However, i have heard, turn the system on and off; 1. Uses more power. 2. Damages components as they heat up then cool down all the time rather then just staying at one temp..?

chesterstu said:
i started to use the standby button on the start menu but mine randomly wakes up when it is standby for no reason. Strange really.

Possibly one of the devices is set to wake the system when it detects activity, i.e. network card.

I would use sleep except whenever I resume after a long period, my laptops fan always comes on at full power and never slows down. Its blowing cold air out as well so its not like the CPU is in use.

Definite bug either with Vista or the laptops BIOS I think.

FrankJH said:
I never personally trust "sleep" or hybernate. Always fully power down

I personally think its good for Windows in general to reboot daily
Why? It is totally unnecessary unless you are having problems, or if the system needs a reboot to complete software or device driver installation.

(I run my machine 24/7 so how Vista sleeps etc. is moot for me.)

Back
Top Bottom