Do you run Windows 10 on a seperate SSD?

Associate
I'm building my first PC.

Do you run Win 10 on it's own SSD and the programs on a second SSD?

If so, what size SSD do you use for WIN 10?

I have WIN 10 on a 160GB SSD and I haven't experienced any problems.

Associate
OP
I can have two M.2 SSDs on my B360 Aorus Gaming 3.

I could use one M.2 for the OS and programs. Is there a performance boost to having games on a M.2?

Associate
Not really? It's more like I put my downloads folder, documents folder and steam library on another drive.

Although really were splitting hairs here, I generally don't install all programs on a secondary SSD, outside of steam.

I've personally found NVME 512 GB primary drive and 512 GB SATA secondary drive gives the highest performance and at a more reasonable cost.

Associate
I prefer it separate, just in case I have to reformat the drive. There used to be a performance benefit if you had your OS on a separate hdd, but I'm not sure if that applies to SSDs. It definitely doesn't apply for nvme.

Soldato
I've personally found NVME 512 GB primary drive and 512 GB SATA secondary drive gives the highest performance and at a more reasonable cost.
WD Blue SN550 doesn't cost really any more per GB than SATA SSD.

I prefer it separate, just in case I have to reformat the drive. There used to be a performance benefit if you had your OS on a separate hdd, but I'm not sure if that applies to SSDs. It definitely doesn't apply for nvme.
Partitioning is for keeping things separate in case of needing to nuke OS.

And if you had proper amount of memory to avoid paging, even in HDD era having OS and say games on same drive wasn't problen.
Once booted, OS simply has very little drive activity and with low data rate.

Soldato
I used to have win on a small SSD, 128GB.

Now I have it on a 2TB nvme, I also have a 1TB sata SSD, and yes, the 128gb sata SSD plugged in.

I don't tend to keep much on my PC though.

Associate
OP
I just bought a 2TB M.2 NVMe and a 2TB SSD.

I already have a 2.72TB HDD, but IDK what I'll need it for now.

Man of Honour
I'm building my first PC.

Do you run Win 10 on it's own SSD and the programs on a second SSD?

If so, what size SSD do you use for WIN 10?

I have WIN 10 on a 160GB SSD and I haven't experienced any problems.
Yes, 500GB, just because 250GB SSD is usually poor value.

Associate
Nope. 250gb nvme for os and programs (Still have more than 50% free even after numerous music software such as FL Studio, ableton live, reason 5 etc. Also photoshop, lightroom. Plus plenty of other software)
2tb ssd for steam/other games.
3tb hdd for music, movies, downloads etc.
500gb ssd as a scratch drive (Basically all temp stuff from C: drive goes to this, so i always only have one place to clean every so often. And these temps files aren't destroying my nvme)

Associate
WD Blue SN550 doesn't cost really any more per GB than SATA SSD.

You tend to get better quality NAND in a SATA SSD which has price parity with a SN550 - at least if you know which drives are good. For sure the cost difference between these kinds of drives has sharply fallen though, as this kind of setup which I have was more optimized for the market conditions of about ~3 years ago, when I bought my drives.

Back
Top Bottom