Do you use the USB-C port on you're case

wnb

wnb

Soldato
It's something I'm looking for in my next case, I have quest 2 and i don't have anywhere to connect it to on my pc.

Associate
I don't use it much atm, but I'm slowly purging all micro usb devices from my life, and more and more usb c ones are coming with c to c cables in my experience.

Associate
I mainly use USB-Type C to connect my camera's CFexpress card reader, also to occasionally transfer phone data, and I'm hoping Amazon finally updates the Kindle to Type-C from Micro-USB.

Associate
It is a gimmick really, at this stage, as many said where are all these devices that you must have one on the front? (considering 90% mobo have it on the back already) the main reason why phones and powerbanks have it is because it can output more power, so does your house power sockets :D unless we talk about a laptops or someone with mobility issues I see no point is seeing that as "must have", considering you can use the one at the back of your IO which is probably empty, and in case of laptops the battery would be your primary limitation anyway.

Got here via Google as I was researching on the subject due of moving to AMD with their absolutely cheap and trash motherboards, my z370i has it on the IO (as most AMD) and even a front panel connector, how many years old is? Oh well I see if I can get myself to wait for Rocket Lake...

Back on topic, putting USB-C Front Header as mandatory really cut off a lot of motherboard options.

Of course opinions are opinions, I agree with the futureproof being pointless, by the time USB-C will be something it will be surpassed, my board is 3 years old yet where are all these USB-C devices? Searched on amazon too with little results. more on this below.

Fact is one, same as with 20xx series fiasco, you need userbase for something to mean anything, the average family, office and so on isn't like us guys, always looking for the edge, it will take years before it becomes standard. No installed base no one caters for it, you find it on cases that are aimed at enthusiast mostly for that reason, you won't find it on average case. Common sense and marketing mixed.

Yes some people here "search for the device with it", good go get an USB C to C keyboard, or C to C Mouse (if anyone still use corded mice) or C to C or C to C webcam or C to C Printer (if they do still with cables anyway), or C to C joystick.... where are they?

Talking about peripherals that WON'T WORK with an adapters.. the ones that truly need that format to work as intended... there are none :D just for extra power provided via that standard (you can get 3.2 get 2 type A with same characteristic, type C is the physical connector not the bus).

I was surprised it did not pick up much in the past few years but again going back to square one, user base, it will take another 5 plus years in my own opinion, if... and to repeat myself, talking outside the charging your phone or power bank as for that there is the fantastic good old power socket on your walls.

Bottom line is that it would cost little to have it, even with the very poor chipset from AMD in case of B550 when looking at USB ports, but if you have to chose something that suit you but doesn't now have USB-C Front Header, it is a "?" whether you should be bothered at all, provided for future proofing (if you have to) you have one on the back of your IO :)

I mainly use USB-Type C to connect my camera's CFexpress card reader, also to occasionally transfer phone data, and I'm hoping Amazon finally updates the Kindle to Type-C from Micro-USB.

None of that "requires" an USB C really, you may want a quick USB port, honestly unless you have a "2tb memory card" I see no point in even using more than 3.0 for that :) and you could still use the one at the back of your IO, going back on topic, as we are talking about CASE USB C, as you do not keep your phone downloading photo h24 hence your back port is free.

And no amazon won't for the reason stated above, Kindle isn't aimed at enthusiast...if they do they will have to ship it with an adapter for 90% of people or get a huge number of people moaning at them because "isn't compatible with their computer". Any normal person would charge it on the power socket or really do not care about 30 minutes extra for charging it (not a precise measuring).

The TC never said GPU. He asked about USB-C in front of case. So yes I use mine for quest 2

A good use for that .x% using VR but again you could connect it at the back so it defeats the need of front, unless your PC is in a terrible place and you totally refuse under all circumstances to buy a 1m extension. Good if you need it, calling it a must? hmmm I am not sure, PERSONALLY.

Last edited:
Associate
None of that "requires" an USB C really, you may want a quick USB port, honestly unless you have a "2tb memory card" I see no point in even using more than 3.0 for that :) and you could still use the one at the back of your IO, going back on topic, as we are talking about CASE USB C, as you do not keep your phone downloading photo h24 hence your back port is free.

And no amazon won't for the reason stated above, Kindle isn't aimed at enthusiast...if they do they will have to ship it with an adapter for 90% of people or get a huge number of people moaning at them because "isn't compatible with their computer". Any normal person would charge it on the power socket or really do not care about 30 minutes extra for charging it (not a precise measuring).
I do use the rear USB C, as I'm on an older motherboard and case, via an extension, but I'm awaiting my B550 components so having a front port will be useful.

With the release of CFexpress, all the new card readers I've come across use USB C, USB4 (Which includes Thunderbolt protocols) have now begun shipping and use Type-C. Only cheaper, slower, no brand readers on Amazon default to Type A. My Nikon Z6 camera, which is a couple of years old, also uses USB C to transfer directly.

It's about far more than charging my Kindle, I regularly transfer books and PDFs to my Kindle from sources other than Amazon, which requires bulk conversions to Kindle compatible formats, and using 3rd party apps. to organize my Kindle files requires a wired connection, so having one cable that does it all, and not having to deal with fiddly Micro-USB, would be a welcome addition. And yes, also having one cable at my PC and bedside that charges all my devices: laptop, phone, tablet, as well as my Kindle would be a win, win for relieving me of clutter.

I also use a Sandisk USB Type C stick, which on some laptops and tablets is essential, and USB sticks are still my most frequent use of the front I/O ports on my PC.

In short, I don't agree that Type C is a novelty, it's not just technically the most advanced in terms of data and power transfer rates, but it's durability, small size, and reversibility also make it the most useful port design. I even see Type-C used on newer keyboards, so I do think it's going anywhere, and if anything, I expect it will become more ubiquitous every year, until it challenges Type-A.

Last edited:
Associate
I do use the rear USB C, as I'm on an older motherboard and case, via an extension, but I'm awaiting my B550 components so having a front port will be useful.

With the release of CFexpress, all the new card readers I've come across use USB C, USB4 (Which includes Thunderbolt protocols) have now begun shipping and use Type-C. Only cheaper, slower, no brand readers on Amazon default to Type A. My Nikon Z6 camera, which is a couple of years old, also uses USB C to transfer directly.

It's about far more than charging my Kindle, I regularly transfer books and PDFs to my Kindle from sources other than Amazon, which requires bulk conversions to Kindle compatible formats, and using 3rd party apps. to organize my Kindle files requires a wired connection, so having one cable that does it all, and not having to deal with fiddly Micro-USB, would be a welcome addition. And yes, also having one cable at my PC and bedside that charges all my devices: laptop, phone, tablet, as well as my Kindle would be a win, win for relieving me of clutter.

I also use a Sandisk USB Type C stick, which on some laptops and tablets is essential, and USB sticks are still my most frequent use of the front I/O ports on my PC.

In short, I don't agree that Type C is a novelty, it's not just technically the most advanced in terms of data and power transfer rates, but it's durability, small size, and reversibility also make it the most useful port design. I even see Type-C used on newer keyboards, so I do think it's going anywhere, and if anything, I expect it will become more ubiquitous every year, until it challenges Type-A.

Sure but what's the difference in transferring even 30 eBooks via USB 3.0? 5-10 seconds? I am not saying is useless I am saying that is not essential and due of installed base will not be for a while, indeed is faster but...again....remember USB C ISN'T A STANDARD... 3.2 Gen 2 is... example, you can get Asus B550i Strix, all the ports are 3.2 Gen 2 so same bus as type c which is just "the shape" anyway you would get the exactly same perks on 4 different ports even with an adapter as the bus is 3.2 gen 2. My comment was, if you are a bit older too, isn't like going from a serial or parallel port to USB back in the days.

I am totally with you and I wondered why it was not standard for the reversibility, but, doing simple strategic thinking it makes sense that it is not for the reasons mentioned above.

My z370i has it, however 90% of AMD boards do not, again I think because generally people with budget did not buy AMD, in numbers, and now with this unexpectedly fast series of CPU motherboards are rather rubbish they either miss one feature or another, Asus is the first to release half baked motherboard, strix with rgb? x570 without USB C?

Just talking about the topic, I think it is useful to have it, essential even, on your motherboard but as front case it is a matter of "convenience" more than anything as you could still transfer your eBook using your USB C on the back :)

Fact is motherboard manufacturer are following the poor status of PC Gaming with expensive hardware with subpar specs...

Associate
Didn't even plug the connector into the motherboard, to save internal clutter.

Only have 1 USB C device and thats my phone that I never plug into the PC anyway.

If I even need it I at least know it's there.

Associate
Sure but what's the difference in transferring even 30 eBooks via USB 3.2? 5-10 seconds?
Of course, I agree there's no practical difference, but Type C was designed to be compatible with USB 2 or USB 3.2 so it's fine for books, or general files, or even booting off a USB stick into Linux. If I need faster transfer rates, say at 3.2, or even Thunderbolt/USB4 speed it can do that too, it's very versatile. I don't need the extra speed on my front Type C I/O, so I purchased a B550 which has a slower 3.1 Type C header for the front I/O, the X570 has a 3.2 Type C front header, but I didn't need the extra speed, both have a 3.2 Gen2 Type C on the rear, which I'll only use when I need the speed boost.

My z370i has it, however 90% of AMD boards do not, again I think because generally people with budget did not buy AMD, in numbers, and now with this unexpectedly fast series of CPU motherboards are rather rubbish they either miss one feature or another, Asus is the first to release half baked motherboard, strix with rgb? x570 without USB C?
Type C has been on all generation Ryzen boards. I have a rear port on my first generation Ryzen Aorus X370 K7 for example. Some boards may have neglected it, I'm not sure, but X570/B550 all have it, and are substantial upgrades over earlier boards in terms of features.

I expect AMD X670, B650, and Intel boards next year and beyond to include more Type C as USB4 begins to take off. That said, if I didn't have my card reader and camera, I could probably get by without it, as I expect most users can, it's not essential for most users, it's a nice to have feature

Soldato
Don't have any USB-C on the desktop. I use all my front USB-A ports all the time. I only use the rear ports (other than mouse and keyboard) if run out of front ports or USB-3 ports. One or two of the laptops have them. I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

I think the USB-C port is far more robust than USB-A. I'd switch all to USB-C if I could.

Associate
As my motherboard doesn't have the required header to connect the type C port on my case I have been using at as a storage socket for my type A and C USB stick (stops me losing it).

It seems like a technology that case manufacturers love adding but board makers are avoiding at all costs - or rather due to costs.

Soldato
OP
Seems like most Apple iphones and Ipads now only come with a USB-C to lightning and USB-C to USB-C cables
They no come with a USB-A to Lightning cables now

This was the case with my niece new 8 gen Ipad and Iphone SE (2020) she had for christmas

Back
Top Bottom