• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DOA graphics card?

Associate
So I've just received my gtx 980ti in the post (also upgraded my psu to a 1050w). I've removed the drivers for the old gpu, installed the new GPU and the computer won't post (tried it without the GPU and it boots fine. And it works with my old GPU). Is the card DOA or am I missing something? I've tried switching between them multiple times so I'm sure all card must be seated and all cables connected properly. Any pointers?

Associate
OP
Just had the thing booting (without connecting the GPU to power) after tinkering with bios settings. Powered down to attach it to the power and connect the monitor and keyboard and now back to no power. Guess that means the GPU isn't dead after all

Associate
OP
Computer now powers on with the new GPU seated (without being connected to PSU) message on screen asking to power down & connect the PCI e cables (which I have done) and now it doesn't power again. Have I not cleared the cmos properly?

Associate
OP
I'm thinking of running SLI in future so I will be needing a new motherboard. Would it be worth me getting a new board now to see if that fixes the issue or would that overcomplicate the problem? Closest thing I can get to testing the card in a different machine...

Associate
OP
Not sure if I've mentioned this already. The computer will boot with the card seated on the MB with it connected to a monitor (no PCI e cables connected) obviously I'm getting the message to power down and connect them. Once I do that I get no life at all... Any suggestions based on this info? CMOS reset doesn't seem to do anything. Should I be resetting the cmos with the new card installed?

Associate
OP
Sorry if I wasn't being clear enough.
With the new card installed (without PCIe cables) it will power on. All case fans and LEDs turn on as does the GPU LEDs and fan. I get signal to the monitor with the message that asks me to power down and connect the PCIe cable. Once the cables are connected it will not power on at all, no fans, no leds, no nothing. I've tried a single cable to the PSU using the 8pin and the 6pin. Tried 2x cables, one for the 8pin and the other for the 6pin (tried switching them around and new cables but none seem to be working).

I've tried everything that helpful members of the forum have suggested but nothing seems to work. The only thing I haven't been able to do is test the card in a different working machine.

Associate
OP
Also ive been playing with the bios settings to see if that's got anything to do with it. The only thing I've done with that is cause the same issue to happen temporarily to my old GPU. Resetting the CMOS corrects the issue (for the old GPU)

Associate
OP
Yeah the old one works. Only reason why it didn't work is because of bios changes.
Would it be worth me taking the build down to my local pc repair shop and have them check over it before I send the card off? hopefully evga get back to me tomorrow with some different suggestions. I've emailed them everything I've posted here so they've got enough to work on. Thanks for the help none the less

Back
Top Bottom