Dock for MBP 14 2021 model - Multi Monitor Setup

Soldato
I’ve been researching on the best way to connect an MBP to a multi monitor setup and I’ve found quite a lot of conflicting information online.

Some comments that I have read say that it only supports one external display and a generic dock without DisplayLink tech will only work for 1 external monitor.

What is the best way/dock to extend into 2 additional displays?

The 2 displays are only 1080p and potentially I would like the capability to add a third in the future.

Is the Dell D6000 adequate? Does the dock have to have displaylink?

Many thanks!

Soldato
I’m using a 14” MBP with a CalDigit TS3 dock and two external monitors right now, so it’s certainly possible :p One is 4K and the other is 1440p, if that helps.

Soldato
I’ve been researching on the best way to connect an MBP to a multi monitor setup and I’ve found quite a lot of conflicting information online.

Some comments that I have read say that it only supports one external display and a generic dock without DisplayLink tech will only work for 1 external monitor.

What is the best way/dock to extend into 2 additional displays?

The 2 displays are only 1080p and potentially I would like the capability to add a third in the future.

Is the Dell D6000 adequate? Does the dock have to have displaylink?

Many thanks!
https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-4-element-hub/ is what I use. its great and a little bit cheaper then the other ones mentioned.

Soldato
Have you had a look at cablematters? They do a small cable type dock with power pass through of 100w. I believe they do a unit that will do 3x 1080p or even 3x 1440p I believe for about £50. There is also a dual display version for a little more that has LAN, USBA and some other ports on it too.

I’ve got the single DP port version at around £33 with 100w pd that I take with me when I’m out and about and I push 5k120 through it (it won’t do 240hz unfortunately).

All claim to not work with mac but the single screen one I have works when it shouldn’t so perhaps worth a try?

Soldato
I've several Thunderbolt docks, and tbh there's always challenges with multiple screens from one dock and the challenges seem to get worse with higher resolution screens, so I'm guessing it's bandwidth related.

So on my 16" ARM I have for example an LG5K, Studio Display, and a 4K unit connected via USB-C to HDMI. I cannot plug the studio display and the 5K LG into the Dock. Coming out of sleep only one of them will wake up leaving the other dark. It's a pain.

The workable one I've found is:
Dock: LG 5K Thunderbolt + USB-C to HDMI 4K
Direct: Studio Display

This has been rock solid now.

Associate
I've several Thunderbolt docks, and tbh there's always challenges with multiple screens from one dock and the challenges seem to get worse with higher resolution screens, so I'm guessing it's bandwidth related.

So on my 16" ARM I have for example an LG5K, Studio Display, and a 4K unit connected via USB-C to HDMI. I cannot plug the studio display and the 5K LG into the Dock. Coming out of sleep only one of them will wake up leaving the other dark. It's a pain.

The workable one I've found is:
Dock: LG 5K Thunderbolt + USB-C to HDMI 4K
Direct: Studio Display

This has been rock solid now.

LG 5k + Studio display issue via the dock is because the LG does not support DSC, whereas the Studio Display does. The LG needs more than half of the 40gbps of the TB3 bandwidth, but with DSC enabled it's under 20gbps. So with only one 40gbps connection to the dock..... It's two Apple 5k's only.

Back
Top Bottom