Dodgy Vauxhall purchased??

Associate
Do you think this would be considered as miss sold from the dealership as it's essentially not what it says on the tin?

It’s worth a try, I don’t know if you’d have much of a case this long after the purchase though as it clearly made no difference to your ownership of the car. You might find your insurance goes down a bit when the right details are entered into the DVLA database though.

Associate
OP
It’s worth a try, I don’t know if you’d have much of a case this long after the purchase though as it clearly made no difference to your ownership of the car. You might find your insurance goes down a bit when the right details are entered into the DVLA database though.
Thanks

Associate
It wouldn't be down to an engine swap, these days there is a tin of ECUs within the car and they are all integrated.

If they swapped for a non turbo engine and gearbox, there would have to be significant wiring changes and programming of various units including the dash clocks and comfort functions,

It just wouldn't happen.

The OP is clearly on a wind up, and it's his first post on a computer forum about a car, surely somewhere like honest John would be better for something such as this. It's just bizarre.

Miss registering the car is an option, but seriously the previous owner and the dealer didn't notice this??

Associate
OP
It wouldn't be down to an engine swap, these days there is a tin of ECUs within the car and they are all integrated.

If they swapped for a non turbo engine and gearbox, there would have to be significant wiring changes and programming of various units including the dash clocks and comfort functions,

It just wouldn't happen.

The OP is clearly on a wind up, and it's his first post on a computer forum about a car, surely somewhere like honest John would be better for something such as this. It's just bizarre.

Miss registering the car is an option, but seriously the previous owner and the dealer didn't notice this??
No wind up, I'm serious!! I'm not troll, I just want advice !!

Man of Honour

It just wouldn't happen.

You'd be surprised at what sort of topics you can search on Google and this place comes up in the top 5 hits.

Associate

The whole thing just does not stack up.
To wait for 19 months after purchase to start looking for reasons to reject the car back to the dealer based on selling it as a Turbo when in fact the engine is knackered says it all.
O/P is looking for an out on the car and scratching round for a reason.

Associate
does the engine number match the log book? first thing to check if yes then maybe misclassed. but as said 19 months wrong gearbox possibly wrong engine hmmm.
if its not a wind up how does anyone know if the op has changed the engine and box? even electrics can be reprogrammed...
was it a main dealer you bought it from?

had similar years ago with a customer and a fiesta, car had been in a bad accident but not claimed for so someone pinched a similar fiesta and they changed all the numbers including the one on the dash.
customer didnt realise till i serviced it one day and remarked i hadnt seen that model with the trim level and the body shape was slightly newer. only small giveaways but when you knew the models inside out it stood out.

long story short he rang the police and they gave him a appointment to take the car for inspection... he had to get a lift back as they impounded it on the spot lost his money and of course the garage he bought it from had disappeared.

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole thing just does not stack up.
To wait for 19 months after purchase to start looking for reasons to reject the car back to the dealer based on selling it as a Turbo when in fact the engine is knackered says it all.
O/P is looking for an out on the car and scratching round for a reason.
whilst it seems....... strange....... i dont think finding out the spec of your car is, not only different but significantly inferior to that which you bought is "scratching around" for a reason to argue you were missold the car.

Could the OP be trolling? its not impossible but it sounds such a bizarre story, that it could be true. Personally i tend to take things as i am told them unless it will affect me in some way.

If i was sold an insurance policy and 5 years later it turned out to be lies, i would still be annoyed. if i was sold an environmentally friendly diesel car and it later turned out the numbers were fudged I would be too, and in both cases those things the buyer was able to get recompense for it.

am not sure why being sold an inferior engine or gearbox than the one in the paperwork is any different. I would like to think i would have noticed if i had a gear or a turbo missing however :D

Last edited:
Associate
@CJ87 get some pictures up, come on now

Yeah, OP is slow to provide detailed pictures of the engine, he has been asked before but did not deliver.
Why not take it to an authorised Vauxhall main dealer and get them to check the car out for specification, surely they would have some insight and be able to issue a report, for a fee?

To me, this is so bizarre it has to be a wind up, this could be a "20 pager".

Last edited:
Associate
It’s probably just been misregistered by the first garage that sent the information to the DVLA when the car arrived in country, which every website then takes its information from. It happens - usually with the colour or trim level rather than the engine but it’s much more likely than it having had an engine swap.
Most likely this. Lots of Japanese imports in the 90s were registered as all sorts of random things.

Associate
Most likely this. Lots of Japanese imports in the 90s were registered as all sorts of random things.
one last one going back to the late 70s was working at a british leyland dealer and customer kicking off about his insurance being nul and void as they stated the car didnt exist.
receptionist trying to assure the guy it was all correct and not dodgy even spoke to his insurance on his behalf , but nope insurance kept saying car didnt exist so no insurance.
service manager gets involved and they are getting nowhere with it.
mechanic comes into the garage and says he knows the problem they were insuring it on the front number plate, but the parts guy got the numbers mixed up , so correct number at back wrong number at front.
ofc when he was at home with the car on his drive he only looked at the number plate at the front :)

Back
Top Bottom