• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does a DDR2 Video Card works on DDR3 Motherboard? issue

Associate
sup everyone,

umm let say this, this in my mobo:
500GB WD 7200RPM,16Mb Buffer.
EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Socket 775
Antec TPQ-850 TruePower Quattro 850W
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0GHZ 6MCache 1333MHZ
Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB(2X2GB) 1333MHZ DDR3
EVGA 9800GX2 1GB GeForce DDR3
Case:Thermaltake Xaser MX VH9000BWS

the video card gor messed up, im trying to fix it so i can sell it cheap in the blackmarket around home hehe, well, as i said, no video card. i want to buy a gtx 275 supercloaked 896, is it better than the 9800 gx2?
in any case, i still dont have the money yet, i wonder, would a DDR2 Video card, something like a EVGA 01G-P3-N945-LR GeForce 9400 GT 1GB DDR2, would it work on the motherboard? i just need to know if i can buy a cheaper ddr2 video card until i gather money for the gtx+.

thanks for helps. ill be around

Associate
OP
u sure? so i can put a ddr2 video card on a ddr3 motherboard without any conflicts? someone else confirm this info please?

Associate
The video card has it's own memory controller, so you can have DDR5 RAM on the video card and DDR3 on the motherboard, or DDR3 on the motherboard and DDR1 on the video card, hell, if you had the right combo you could have DDR5 RAM on the video card and DDR1 RAM on the mobo.

The only thing you have to worry about with graphics cards is the

slot form factor [PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0, although that's not a massive concern as they are compatible, you just lose some performance by putting a 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot] and

that you have enough power to run the graphics card if it's a power hungry one.

HTH.

Associate
OP
dont worry im kind of poor now, and my power s is 850w
ill get a cheappy card so i can use my pc at least until i can buy a better one.
dang this make me feel sad.

btw, thanks for all the help again
best forum around =)

Last edited:
Associate
What spec you got for the rest of the PC?

If you have £70-80, you can get a mid-range 4850, which is still a really rather grunty card.

Edit: Never mind, just read your first post properly, stick with your guns and get the 275 when you can, or look in to the 5850 when it comes around, it's closer to the 285 in terms of grunt.

Back
Top Bottom