Does a patrol car can send NIP without pulling you over if speeding

Associate
Was wondering if a patrolling car can issue a NIP through post when they have plenty of time to stop me.
I am sure i haven't speeding, however i jumped lane at a round about and entered yellow box.
And also doing 40ish when it is 40 and just using the limit.
I wasn't worried but at junction when waiting for traffic lights i saw the police looking at me.
So this crossed my mind have i done anything wrong or will i get a speeding ticket or any

Thanks for your swift response, bit relieved :)
Say if I have speeded without my knowledge, can patrol car can send speeding ticket home?

Thanks in Advance

Even if you were speeding, i think its unlikely (but perhaps not impossible).

To get done speeding, you will either get caught by a fixed or mobile speed camera/van/gun or get pulled over by a moving police car at the time of the offense.

I'm not sure that police cars generally tail you, record you speeding, then let you go on your way and send a ticket in the post.

Even if you were speeding, i think its unlikely (but perhaps not impossible).

To get done speeding, you will either get caught by a fixed or mobile speed camera/van/gun or get pulled over by a moving police car at the time of the offense.

I'm not sure that police cars generally tail you, record you speeding, then let you go on your way and send a ticket in the post.

This really.

If you were speeding, why wouldn't they just issue an on-the-spot fine. It's significantly easier than sending one through the post.

This really.

If you were speeding, why wouldn't they just issue an on-the-spot fine. It's significantly easier than sending one through the post.

Also, if you tailed speeding by a cop car, they're duty bound to stop you (if they can be arsed or aren't busy doing something else), it's a criminal offence and unlawful because it's deemed dangerous to yourself and others. They can't just let you carry on and send you a postcard.

Otherwise, what happens if a mile down the road you plough into a school bus and they've processed a posted ticket instead of stopping you? It's one thing not stopping someone for speeding, quite another deeming them worthy of a ticket but not stopping them.

Also, if you tailed speeding by a cop car, they're duty bound to stop you, it's a criminal offence and unlawful because it's deemed dangerous to yourself and others. They can't just let you carry on and send you a postcard.

This ^.

Fixed unmanned speed camera = NIP in the post.

Police car = blue lights and ticket issued by a copper.

Also, if you tailed speeding by a cop car, they're duty bound to stop you (if they can be arsed or aren't busy doing something else), it's a criminal offence and unlawful because it's deemed dangerous to yourself and others. They can't just let you carry on and send you a postcard.

Otherwise, what happens if a mile down the road you plough into a school bus and they've processed a posted ticket instead of stopping you? It's one thing not stopping someone for speeding, quite another deeming them worthy of a ticket but not stopping them.

Interestingly on this note where they draw the line - there is a stretch of dual carriageway near me infamous for speeding - the police did 36 drivers in one day - 25 for doing speeds in excess of 86MPH the others for non-speeding and/or lower levels of speeding combined with other offences but didn't pull anyone just for doing up to 86MPH.

Police can and will send a NIP in the post if it isn't suitable to pull you over at the time of the offence. Northumbria Police did a social media post covering exactly this recently.

Yeah, this is wrong.

Let me give you an example: say I'm driving a police van with a prisoner in the back. I can't stop, I have to go to custody, but I'm in a van with a calibrated speedo and can evidence that your average speed in a 30 was well above 40 over say 1/4 mile. I can do a vehicle check over the radio and get the controllers to add some information to the log. I drop my prisoner off at custody and then write up the notes of my observations in my pocket note book and then write a statement. I'll then send a s172 notice to the registered keeper to identify the driver and once that's returned I'll send a NIP to the driver.

As you can see, this is a bit of a convoluted process that'll take a few hours to write and keep on top of. That's why most officers don't do this. Stopping someone at the roadside and being able to report then there and then simplifies this a lot.

My observations and statement would generally be enough to get a conviction should it go to court, you don't need a photo or video.

All the evidence they need is the copper/s in the cars statements that in their expert opinion you were speeding if it goes to court.
Without actual proof? Does the copper have a speed measuring device inside their eye?

Back
Top Bottom