Does anybody here feel they do the same thing in games over and over?

Soldato
OP
I couldnt understand gears of war tbh.

It had brilliant graphics, but I thought the actual gameplay wasnt poor, but nothing new. I was bored and forced myself to complete it.

Same with stranglehold.

Soldato
i'm having this problem with all FPS games at the moment. There is so many that are just "average" or over hyped that i'm seriously thinking about never getting another ever again. All that hype with Halo 3 and its multiplayer side of things then along comes COD4 with hardly any hype and wipes the floor with it, IMHO.
Agreed, Halo 3,a right dissapointment

Associate
drive cars fast
shoot things dead
kick/throw/punch/hit things hard

that. is. all.

Your thinking about it too much, it is what it is

Soldato
Ive been pretty bored with games for a good number of years, i put it down to age more than anything, and having seen everything a number of times.

I now more enjoy multiplayer sports games now, these offer something different for me. I also like novelty games, guitar hero, scene it, stuff that i might not play for months, but that can give a few good nights entertainment.

I have completely lost interest in FPS games, this happened around Half Life 2, while everyone was raving about it, i just felt it was extremely boring, and having tried the odd FPS over the past 3 of 4 years, nothing really grabbed me, i felt while stuff like COD2 and 3 looked lovely, i found the gameplay dull and generic. Possibly as a result of not playing many FPS games, i recently played and finished COD4 on the PC, and found it briliant, so perhaps a rest from the genre was needed.

I currently have Mass Effect sitting unplayed, Im keeping it for the xmas holidays so i can get my teeth stuck into it, im looking forward to playing it. I used to love driving games, but i find them extremely tedious now, the last one i enjoyed was project gotham 3 when the 360 came out, even gotham 4 didnt do anything for me.

About 15 minutes ago, I had a look through my 360 games to play, nothing grabbed me despite having quite a catalogue, I was enjoying Kane and Lynch until i got to a bit that I think was a bug, and resorted to going back to trusty sports games to get a bit of entertainment.

Soldato
Nope.

Loving so many games at the moment, I just wish I had the money to buy them all. Been playing games for over a decade and developing them for a year and I'm still loving them.

Associate
When I played ICO for the PS2 recently I was certainly pleasantly suprised; that's one amazing game, quite different from the norm.

Soldato
Your thinking about it too much, it is what it is

No you're thinking too little.

Games with strategy and freedom of play are what give a game repeated playability, you only have to look at how popular the GTA series is. Game studios should focus more on this, instead of putting new skins on old graphics engines ala COD4.

And anyway I'm confident there are better more innovative games on the horizon, take Battlefield Bad Company for example, it may be a first-person-shooter, but its sandbox and non-linear style of gameplay is what'll make it so great, online and offline.

Permabanned
sometimes

82 games of 4x10 min quarters can be repetitive

then playoffs, potentially 4 series of upto 7 games each ....

gotta love the NBA baby

Soldato
Talking about the need for change with in game series' Resident evil was awesome, But when it changed with Resident evil 4, It was a much needed change and it gave the game a refreshing new edge. Problem is, It's hard to change a FPS. As you always have that fixed aspect. You can change what happens with in the world, With physics and other things such as improved water effects and AI, But you're always going to see it from that same aspect as said, So it's going to feel monotonous some of the time. That's the main reason I don't enjoy FPS games. Crysis, The game everyone is currently drooling about, I'm currently sat on a PC here with the game installed. And I don't feel compelled to play at all. Because I'd rather go home and play Mass effect. I find the FPS genre tired now, I've played most the 360 FPS games, And they no longer keep my attention. Although Vegas did like :p But that was a rare thing indeed.

Soldato
I sometimes get bored, my main problem is I can't play a variety of games at once. Its either concentrate solidly on one game until it bores me to tears or dabble 15 minutes here, 20 minutes there and never really get into anything.

Soldato
No you're thinking too little.

Actually, he's not. The market for the games he has described is absolutely huge, probably bigger than sandbox games. But I do agree with you as well, sandbox are also massively popular, which is another reason so many millions of people play MMORPGs, the freedom to explore another world without restrictions such as linear levels you'd find in a FPS.

Associate
Multiplayer has reinvigorated my love of games (Im 34), single player has only appealed to me just recently again (as i "feel" a bit of a nerd playing single player) - Multiplayer feels more socially acceptable?.

Maybe i am stuck with the same perception that society has-ie games are for people younger than 20?

Back
Top Bottom