Does anyone bother trying to TRIM an external USB sata SSD drive in Windows?

Soldato
As title, googling this leads to various conflicting dark alleys ranging from, it is not possible, to it is not needed, to yes but only if your specific enclosure/drive combo supports it, to yeah but you have to do in Linux.

I use an external SSD with quite a lot of copying/deleting going on transferring files and wot not, and I've now just thought, should I be trimming this? Any thoughts?

I have an 8TB SATA SSD in a USB-C enclosure and if the drive was left plugged into the PC then Windows would automatically trim it as per default schedule for all drives anyway, so no reason you can't manually trim it if the drive is only plugged in here and there which means it would not be part of the Windows schedule anyway.

I just do a fresh trim in optimise drives each month after I do my backups sync run.

zYezMgv.png

Trim works on most NVME to USB Controllers just fine and most newer Sata to USB Controllers

Nvme to USB
10Gbps ASmedia ASM2362 = Fine
20Gbps ASmedia ASM2364 = Fine
40Gbps ASmedia ASM2464 = Fine
10Gbps JMicron JMS581 = Fine
10Gbps JMicron JMS583 = Fine
10Gbps Phison U17 = Fine
20Gbps Phison U18 = Fine
10Gbps Realtek RTL9210B = Fine
20Gbps Realtek RTL9220 = Fine

Sata to USB
5Gbps ASmedia ASM115x = Depends on firmware (But Rare)
5Gbps ASmedia ASM225CM = Fine
10Gbps ASmedia ASM235CM = Fine
5Gbps JMicron JMS576 = No Trim Support (Some come with a larger firmware flash and have JMS580 Firmware locked at 5Gbps and support Trim)
5Gbps JMicron JMS578 = Depends on firmware
10Gbps JMicron JMS580 = Fine
5Gbps Realtek RTL9201R = Fine

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom