• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does Anyone Else have a Sapphire Nitro+ 6600XT? Backplate Query.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
***UPDATE***

After doing some more digging and testing it looks like Sapphire may have done something funny with the power delivery circuitry. Although the card only requires 180ish watts of of power if the 12v rail on your PSU is split over multiple rails you will run into problems like the one I described. I've forked out for Corsair RM850 PSU which has just one fat 12v with plenty of amps and been running this setup for over a week now and not had any issues.

During this time I had this problem I reached out to Sapphire technical services and they came back and just said, 'use a 750 watt PSU' yet they still market this card as needing a 500 watt PSU. I know not all PSU's are created equally but come on now BeQuiet PSU's are pretty decent.

Man of Honour
***UPDATE***

After doing some more digging and testing it looks like Sapphire may have done something funny with the power delivery circuitry. Although the card only requires 180ish watts of of power if the 12v rail on your PSU is split over multiple rails you will run into problems like the one I described. I've forked out for Corsair RM850 PSU which has just one fat 12v with plenty of amps and been running this setup for over a week now and not had any issues.

During this time I had this problem I reached out to Sapphire technical services and they came back and just said, 'use a 750 watt PSU' yet they still market this card as needing a 500 watt PSU. I know not all PSU's are created equally but come on now BeQuiet PSU's are pretty decent.

I don't think it is just Sapphire, it seems to be present with rdna cards, in general. In the igorslab.de review, it shows how clearly that graphics cards (like CPUs now), only specify what their average power is and spikes north of 250 watts were very common (highest was 290), even during gaming load. Nvidia is the same, the 3080 has spikes as high as 500 watts (only a 320 watt card, in nvidia's specs). I don't know about newer PSUs, but older dual rail PSUs had a limit of around 18A per rail, so if this was regulated tightly it could trip with these AMD cards on a single 8-pin.

Associate
Got a 6600XT red devil and have overclocked the **** out of it using MPT with a 500W PSU. I have no issue what so ever from the card running with a 3900X as well. I obviously run the card stock day to day though with no issue. Only time I saw any issue was with unstable RAM overclock. I'm guessing the type of PSU will be the issue if that is the case. Although mine is a cheapo unit.

Soldato
If you look at edge of the backplate where the 8 pin power connector is is there minor imperfections in the metal shroud like someone has run a switchblade across it on your card? You can't really see it in this photo (this is my old card that I returned but i've outlined the area that I'm talking about)

zdypKio.jpg

Just to give some context I've just received a replacement 6600XT from OCUK and I have this sense of foreboding that they've just sent me back my old card. The retail box it was sent in is in exactly the same condition, the seal has been cut the same way (cut not pealed), it came with all the dust covers and the shroud has the same/similar markings in the backplate right along where the metal is rolled over the edge

Get Tech Jesus on the case :p

Soldato
OP
Got a 6600XT red devil and have overclocked the **** out of it using MPT with a 500W PSU. I have no issue what so ever from the card running with a 3900X as well. I obviously run the card stock day to day though with no issue. Only time I saw any issue was with unstable RAM overclock. I'm guessing the type of PSU will be the issue if that is the case. Although mine is a cheapo unit.
Yeah people on the AMD forums were reporting issues with BeQuiet PSU's and this graphics card although I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. I know when I swapped the cable at the back of the PSU from PCIE 1 to PCIE 2 I couldn't get the GPU to display at all once I was past the Windows logo. PCI 2 run at 20amps verses PCI 1 which was rated for 25 which is why I thinking it's something to do with the Ampage (is there such a word?) that's supplied on the 12v rail.

Associate
Yeah people on the AMD forums were reporting issues with BeQuiet PSU's and this graphics card although I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. I know when I swapped the cable at the back of the PSU from PCIE 1 to PCIE 2 I couldn't get the GPU to display at all once I was past the Windows logo. PCI 2 run at 20amps verses PCI 1 which was rated for 25 which is why I thinking it's something to do with the Ampage (is there such a word?) that's supplied on the 12v rail.

you could have a dodgy PSU

Back
Top Bottom