Does anyone have experience of Zzoomm broadband?

Soldato
As above, does anyone have any experience of Zzoomm broadband? They are rolling out FTTP in Crewe area and I wondered what they are like, in Crewe we currently have no FTTP available.

Zzoomm are offering 100Mbps downloads from £29 per month, up to 2000Mbps downloads for £99 per month. Just trying to get discussion going to see if Zzoomm is worth considering.

https://zzoomm.com/

Caporegime
It's 100/10 for £29, 100/100 is a £10 addon. A static IP is another £10.

I can't find any information on whether they use CG-NAT or not, but if they CG-NAT you unless you buy a static IP then you're looking at £49 for 100Mbps, which is on the expensive side.

Soldato
OP
Caged, thanks for looking into this.

As it happens I do require a static IP, that £10 extra per month is very expensive. Also agreed starts getting expensive if you require a good upload.

I'm actually hoping Crewe goes Openreach FTTP soon, or even Vodafone Cityfibre. I have phoned Zen and no Openreach upgrade showing on Zen's systems for Crewe yet. That said Nantwich (town next door) is currently in process of Openreach FTTP rollout, so hopefully when that's done they will upgrade Crewe also.

Associate
Caged, thanks for looking into this.

As it happens I do require a static IP, that £10 extra per month is very expensive. Also agreed starts getting expensive if you require a good upload.

I'm actually hoping Crewe goes Openreach FTTP soon, or even Vodafone Cityfibre. I have phoned Zen and no Openreach upgrade showing on Zen's systems for Crewe yet. That said Nantwich (town next door) is currently in process of Openreach FTTP rollout, so hopefully when that's done they will upgrade Crewe also.

If you are in Crewe, this will be coming soon https://lilaconnect.co.uk/. I have it in Stoke and it's really good. It's not Openreach or City Fibre.

Soldato
OP
If you are in Crewe, this will be coming soon https://lilaconnect.co.uk/. I have it in Stoke and it's really good. It's not Openreach or City Fibre.

Thanks for information on Lilaconnect.

I know you mention they are good, but how do you find them.

What is the latency like (ping times)? How consistent is the speed? Is upload the same speed as download?

Has there been much down time? What is their customer service like?

Also, what are costs for static IP? Can you also use your own router, for example I use Draytek routers?

Thanks
Jason

Associate
Thanks for information on Lilaconnect.

I know you mention they are good, but how do you find them.

What is the latency like (ping times)? How consistent is the speed? Is upload the same speed as download?

Has there been much down time? What is their customer service like?

Also, what are costs for static IP? Can you also use your own router, for example I use Draytek routers?

Thanks
Jason

I've had it since January and never had an issue. The infrastructure is provided by Lila Connect but then there are different ISP's you can pick from to provide the service so customer service will vary between them, I use Breeze Fibre and never had an issue with them. Ping time is around 6/7ms when I do a speed test and I get around 950Mpbs download and 700 Mbps upload which has been very consistent.

As the main network is provided by Lila Connect, they do use CGNAT but with Breeze, I do have a static IP and I'm not on CGNAT. You would have to discuss this with the ISP's to see if they can provide what you need and the costs.

For router, I use my own (Asus RT-AC86U). For the installation, Lila Connect will install the fibre cable to your property into an ONT. From this, you run a ethernet cable to your router and that's it.

Soldato
OP
I've had it since January and never had an issue. The infrastructure is provided by Lila Connect but then there are different ISP's you can pick from to provide the service so customer service will vary between them, I use Breeze Fibre and never had an issue with them. Ping time is around 6/7ms when I do a speed test and I get around 950Mpbs download and 700 Mbps upload which has been very consistent.

As the main network is provided by Lila Connect, they do use CGNAT but with Breeze, I do have a static IP and I'm not on CGNAT. You would have to discuss this with the ISP's to see if they can provide what you need and the costs.

For router, I use my own (Asus RT-AC86U). For the installation, Lila Connect will install the fibre cable to your property into an ONT. From this, you run a ethernet cable to your router and that's it.

Thanks for all this information, again I did not know about Lila Connect, that all sounds very good indeed. I will keep checking them for updates on roll out in Crewe.

Associate
Sorry for hijacking the thread @JasonM

I've recently had LilaConnect come and install fibre down my road, and was wondering if you decided to go with either Zzoomm or Lilaconnect for your broadband?

Not much information online by either of them, so not sure which company is best?

Cheers,

Associate
I've given up on Openreach getting FTTP in my area in the near future, so am now booked in for a Zzoomm install in mid-July, gone for the Home 450 service, which is symmetrical so should notice a massive difference from my current FTTC speeds!

I would have liked a static IP but there's no way I will pay £10 per month for it, Duck DNS will do me fine.

@JasonM did you ever get Zzoomm or LilaConnect in the end?

Soldato
OP
@JasonM did you ever get Zzoomm or LilaConnect in the end?

No, i'm still not able to order, connections are in the pavement, but their back-end is not connected.

Crazy thing is Openreach have installed their FTTP into the pavement after Zoom, and speaking to Openreach engineer their FTTP will be available ahead of Zoom. So waited years for FTTP, then 2 appear in the pavement at once.

Associate
No, i'm still not able to order, connections are in the pavement, but their back-end is not connected.

Crazy thing is Openreach have installed their FTTP into the pavement after Zoom, and speaking to Openreach engineer their FTTP will be available ahead of Zoom. So waited years for FTTP, then 2 appear in the pavement at once.
I reckon it was something around 3-4 months after having the cabling put into the pavement/to our boundary that the service actually went live, to order. At the moment there's a six weeks lead time for install to the property, it's definitely popular.

Associate
Thread revival for @JasonM - I was able to bring my installation of Zzoomm forward by three weeks, here's the speed test results this lunchtime:

Screenshot-2022-06-23-120639.png

Very pleased given that I am on the Home450 package. One thing I am not sure about it whether or not they are locking down their supplied Icotera i4850 router or not, as there doesn't seem to be any way of registering a SIP provider for VOIP with an analogue phone plugged into the two RJ11 phone ports. I might speak to their support and see what they say.

Associate
Tango, thanks for the update. Where abouts are you based, i'm in Crewe but still not able to order.
(EDIT) Berkshire. I'd ring them up, funnily enough the guys who did my install said they are from Crewe, had been put up in a local hotel to come down my way and do some extra installs.

Last edited:
Associate
Can I ask why you need a static IP, can't you just use DDNS (if it's a dynamic IP)?
Edit: Just realized this is an old thread

If you’re behind CGNAT you share a public IP with multiple other users and get a private IP assigned to your router so inbound port forwards aren’t possible

It’s fine for 95% of users but for those that want to host things at home it would obviously be an issue unless your ISP supports IPv6 and you’re happy to use it as an alternative

IPv4 address blocks have sky rocketed in price due to running out so while £10 a month is expensive there is a reason for it

It gives a slight advantage to bigger more established ISPs as they’ve existed long enough to have been allocated huge blocks of address space for practically nothing to the point where they can usually still offer a public v4 address by default

Caporegime
As above, these new ISPs don't really make a distinction between a public IP and a static IP - for most people if it was £1 a month for a public IP and £10 for a static IP they'd be fine with the public IP option, but since broadband is an always-on service there are no real cost differences to the provider for public vs. static so they just sell it as a static IP.

I have seen CGNAT on Hyperoptic cause issues with constant CAPTCHA prompts but I think that was possibly caused by the low quality of IPs that they bought which took a while for various companies to realise were now Hyperoptic ones. People had the same issues with Vodafone when they bought a block of IPs from an Indian provider and geolocation would always give people the Indian version of websites. I'd assume online gaming can now fully utilise IPv6 so the issues that CGNAT used to cause there shouldn't be a problem now, but it's not an area that I keep up with so can't say for sure.

Associate
@JasonM - I contacted Zzoomm to ask about the RJ11 ports on the router and the fact that the router software appears 'locked down' in the sense that you can't edit any settings for VOIP. This is the reply:

Sorry, the configuration of our routers disables VoIP interfaces by default as we are not able to support VoIP services.

Back
Top Bottom