Does anyone know if it is possible to network a tv signal?

Associate
OP
As I said We already tried that with multiple different splitters and boosters and the signal was unacceptable on both ends (media center just displayed zilch).

Were installing that mediaportal program on his computer now, but I cant find a guide that tells me how to set that up on the network and set my comp up as a client

edit: whoops. need to download another program to plugin to it. Well, I am sure that today we can get it working somehow

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lister2020 said:
You ignored the part about me having my own network/internet connection then.

I assumed you were talking about using the unis connection. Even with your own connection your isp wont be pleased if you use loads of bandwidth streaming videos or the fact that your letting someone else use it.

Associate
OP
Energize said:
I assumed you were talking about using the unis connection. Even with your own connection your isp wont be pleased if you use loads of bandwidth streaming videos or the fact that your letting someone else use it.

What are you talking about? Streaming video over the router doesn't have anything to do with internet bandwidth. They also can't say jack about who I do or do not let onto my own network.

Anyway, he has it set up on his comp at the mo but having difficulty getting the client working.

Associate
Lister2020 said:

0:00:00/0:000 means its not picking up anything... It's on the same network right? Because by default routers will not forward multicasts (same with broadcasts), you'll need to set up static routes to get that working. Did you select play locally to check if it was working? ie that it was actually picking up a feed from the tuner.

Try disabling Windows Firewall on both computers, or any firewalls. Just to rule it out.

netstat will tell you if its picking up anything.

Setting up VLC can be quite painful, its not the easiest thing you can do.

Caporegime
Lister2020 said:
What are you talking about? Streaming video over the router doesn't have anything to do with internet bandwidth. They also can't say jack about who I do or do not let onto my own network.

Anyway, he has it set up on his comp at the mo but having difficulty getting the client working.

I was clearly referring to the idea of iptv not streaming over the router. And yes they can say who you let onto your network, as you have broken the agreement they can cut you off at any time.

Soldato
tripitaka said:
Mediaportal? Set up your friends PC as a TV server, and yours as client. Not sure how much of a resource hog it will be on his machine, though.

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

I wanted to post this, I'm doing this the weekend.
Check out Ze German guy do the tutorial on how to do it, very useful.
Note the tutirial numbers are a tad mixed, as I think 3 and 4 are mixed up.

Associate
OP
sup3rc0w said:
I wanted to post this, I'm doing this the weekend.
Check out Ze German guy do the tutorial on how to do it, very useful.
Note the tutirial numbers are a tad mixed, as I think 3 and 4 are mixed up.

You have any luck? We have gotten it to connect to the TvServer but cannot get it to connect to the Database.

Back
Top Bottom