Does anyone NOT use an anti-virus program?

StuntMonkeh said:
Is there any need? I can't even remember the last time one was even picked up on my system!

For most people there is always a need... most computer users need them to protect them from themselves (clicking strange email attachments etc etc) and without them a lot of people would be screwed very quickly.

For regular downloaders (torrents etc) there is also a need to protect yourself from the nasties you might inadvertantly pick up (in principle I personally find it a bit like sleeping around without a condom).

Viruses/malware are a very real and present threat, and my last 14 months working for an anti-virus company taught me that not only can anyone be affected by it, but that in the coming years it is set to increase exponentially.

Use one to be on the safe side, even if it's just a decent free one like Avast! :)

InsomniaCalls said:
I don't at home.
I have a firewall on my router but the Windows one is enabled.
I have your bog standard ant-spyware malarky but that's it.

Same here, since i got my new rig ive decided to have as little installed (and as little running) as possible

I know what and what not to do on the net so im safe without one

I have never used a Virus checker or firewall on my computer, and I have never had a virus since 2001 when I bought my first computer.

And I download a *TON* of crap, of every file type you can imagine, executables, media, you name it.

I have used windows and linux, and the worst I have ever had is crappy spyware/malware which I tend to clean off with adaware.

No other software has been required in over 6 years.

Tom84 said:
Same here, since i got my new rig ive decided to have as little installed (and as little running) as possible

I know what and what not to do on the net so im safe without one

I'm pretty much thinking this. It leaves YOU as the virus scanner... Any dubious files you could use just an .exe type scanner not an active scanner.

Back
Top Bottom