Does anyone still use Delphi (Object Pascal)?

Soldato
I'm curious if anyone still uses Object Pascal? I remember it being a big thing back in the 90s but you don't hear so much about it now. Is it dying a slow death?

The reason I ask is that I need to make a Windows application and I'm looking for the fastest way to develop it possible.

Options are Delphi, VB.NET, C# or JavaScript.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I think Delphi was one of the first languages I learned, it was pretty nice from what I remember.

Do your self a favour and go for Visual Studio + C# / VB (if you're weird). .NET makes developing Windows apps very very easy. It's all free too.

Man of Honour
I'd vote for Visual Studio + C# if you are building a business application - VB will likely be faster to get something up and running but also potentially make things more awkward down the line if you need more advanced functionality.

Soldato
I used Delphi for work, then had to convert everything to VB.net when they decided to switch. I told them C# was a better option than VB but... I ended up having to convert everything from VB to C#. In my opinion Delphi is better than .Net as it's a native language but the RAD software is expensive and I like Visual Studio better. I would not recommend VB as it takes almost the same work as C#.

Soldato
I remember the Beast Trojan was written in Delphi way back in early 00's, I used to lurk their forums a bit back then as I was intrigued as to how they did it. I believe one of theirmembers wrote a worm and was jailed for a couple of years and their whole community fizzled out after that.

Bit if history for you.

But Delphi was favoured over VB6 back then due to the runtimes being built into the Delphi package/exe.

Back
Top Bottom