Does anyone surf the net on a 2g connection?

Soldato
Just looking at getting a new phone but the area I'm in is only 2g, is it possible to browse these forums on a 2g connection, I'm not bothered about watching youtube videos or anything like that, just general internet browsing.

Soldato
Yeah think back to the days of 28.8k modems :p

If you're using it for browsing here though you can help by turning images, avatars and sigs off, reducing your posts per page to the minimum and suchlike to make things slightly less painful!

Soldato
If you're using it for browsing here though you can help by turning images, avatars and sigs off, reducing your posts per page to the minimum and suchlike to make things slightly less painful!

This.

Back in the days of GPRS I used to just turn images off, that made it just about usable!

Man of Honour
On vodafone on GPRS I get a full 48kbit/s its slow but useable... can't say I'd wanna use these speeds too often tho.

Associate
it depends on what you are doing and how patient you are ;)

I use 2G on my G1 every day as my work seems to be in a 3G deadspot. For just viewing forums and similar sites it works fine, after the first few visits it doesnt need to reload the images. For browsing completely new sites or if you wander into image intensive threads (like the acreenshot threads in the game forums) you will find it slow. The best option would be to try and test drive it by borrowing a friends phone if possible.

Mr-Xoc

Associate
In my case I'm partly stuck, I think I'm in a blackspot in the heart of Birmingham so I get GSM more than HSDPA but outside my building it's FULL HSDPA. When I use my phone as a modem with GSM it is SLOW no doubt and no way of putting it. You get used to it though if you browse a lot of 3G is miles ahead no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom