Does anyone use a US layout keyboard?

Associate
I have recently got a mechanical keyboard, MX blue keys and backlighting. However, it is a US layout.

I am undecided whether to keep it and get used to the different layout or to to sell it and buy a UK layout keyboard instead. If I did buy another keyboard it would probably be a non mechanical one as a new mechanical would be too expensive.

As far as I know I could set my keyboard layout to US but leave my language and regional settings to UK. Some of the keys are in a different position and there is no £ key. Also it would mean swapping between layouts whenever I used another computer.

Just wondered if anyone here uses a US layout with UK language settings? If so do you find it difficult to swap between the layouts and how do you type £s? Any other issues?

Soldato
I have a topre clone board that I use as my main keyboard which is ANSI layout, the way I use it is to have it set up as a UK ISO layout since I remember where things like the £ sign and @ are normally so I don't really find it too bad tbh and it's just something I have gotten used to. It also occasionally feels better to have the long enter, since on ISO keyboards I tend to hit the # key a lot (although I did keep hitting enter there when trying to type that)

The only problem I personally have is when I want to use the pipe key on my work laptop as I need that a lot and I am still unsure if I can use it on a US ANSI layout that shows up as UK to windows

If I were you I would keep the US layout board, it's definitely something that isn't actually that bad to get used to, and there are ways to get around the things that the US keyboards lack like the £ sign

Soldato
From my experience and reading others, you do have to give yourself some time with a new keyboard to get used to key layout. Any new board feels different and potentially odd at first, but after a few weeks of daily use you will get used to it. Only problem will come if and when you move back to a UK layout board lol!

Associate
I accidentally ordered a US layout Logitech wireless keyboard. Was too expensive to send back (should have read up on DSR/CCR at the time!). I just use it as a UK layout, as I usually type without looking at the keyboard anyway.

Associate
Use an ANSI keyboard at home, backslash absence is a bit annoying but just switch keyboard language to US using alt+shift if i need to use it, other than that I prefer the ANSI.

Associate
All 3 of my mechs are US layout, simply because it's easier to get what i want in that layout. Also, if i want to get replacement keycaps then finding the US layout is generally much easier. My £ key is exactly where it is on any UK boards, the number 3. Although, i know this through muscle memory rather than they key actually displaying it. Being a programmer makes it difficult as the | and \ keys are missing/replaced, but when i started using a 60% board I setup an AutoHotKey script that uses winkey+x and winkey+z to input those characters. Yes, it's a bit of a pain in the first instance but i really don't find it a problem now that I am used to it!

Associate
Yup, I have a Razer Turret lapboard, and I drunkenly didn't realise it was an American layout only when I ordered it. I just google 'pound sign' and copy and paste the '£' symbol when I need it. A minor annoyance I live with

Associate
All windows installs have an app called character map installed.
Start the app, choose a standard font like System or Arial and then you can copy and paste direct from it. If you have chosen a standard font it might also show some keystrokes to use for the next technique. Note, the preceding zeros are needed.

www.asciitable.com
Hold down left-alt and then use the numeric keypad to enter the number, then release ALT.
You can use notepad to quickly test.
So for "£" which is 156 do the following.

LEFT-ALT 156 release.
... BOOM

"\" is 92 (on some keyboards this can be achieved by pressing a modifier button and something else, for me its FN+left shift)
Pipe varies depending on which one you want. Some KBs seem to give the one without a gap(0166) and others with(124). Its generaly top left under ESC and achievable using some kind of modifier key. (for me its FN+top left).

Associate
I only use ANSI keyboards if I have a choice. Not having the pound sign is the only annoyance it gives me, but I am just so used to it that it's not that bad. You can set up multiple keyboard layouts/languages in Windows and iterate through them with Win + Space, so I just set up UK and American English as languages/locales (whatever, I forgot the exact terminology they use on the interface) and swap to the other when I need to. Only thing is sometimes not realising I'm on the wrong setting, but what can you do?

Back
Top Bottom