• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

does anyone.....

Associate
.....use a server board for their system?
i run a supermicro H8QN-3 mobo with 4x quad core opteron installed.i am thinking of upping to 4x 6core units soon.or changing the motherboard to a later ddr3 and magnycor motherboard allowing 4x 12 core cpu's.
for rendering its great and very fast at the present in 3d studio.it even runs well in games.but i do find the numbers low in gamer benchmarks
my restrictions are 667mhz ram and the old chipset i think.
just wondered if anyone else ran opterons?

ROB

Caporegime
I have done in the past (talking early days of Opteron Dual-Core designs), but with mainstream multi-CPU boards appearing from the likes of EVGA (SR-X anyone?), it's becoming largely pointless.

That way, you get the best of both worlds. The feature-rich environment of a high-end extreme consumer board, and the raw power of an SMP board. The above mentioned SR-X with two Socket 2011 8-Core Xeons would be insanely powerful for anything you care to throw at it.

Associate
OP
good review.....

BANKROBBER_01
....it was cost that drove my decision to buy opteron's and supermicro motherboard.it cost me about £1200 total....the cost of 1 xeon!
primarily rendering is my thing and 3d studio will zip along.i remember trying to render on my old athlon rig and it would take 1hr per frame....now i can see 1000 frames per hour....so i am happy :O)
multi cpu/cores offer far greater stability...and 1 dies i just replace a 1/4 of my cpu ability.
i reckon there should be native quad sli,ddr5 ram and overclocking ability on server rigs.lets face it....you pay more to get less option,so the choice has to be correct for your needs.
like i said,i am happy with my choice,and i can still game if i feel the need.
i was actually playing farcry whilst rendering the other day....thats cool :O)

ROB

http://s544.photobucket.com/albums/hh322/BANKROBBER_01/?action=view&current=WP_000224.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom