• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does buying an Nvidia card from a scalper maintain its warranty?

Associate
I have seen a small number of FE 3090s on Ebay for less than MSRP. The receipts look like they were bought from No Competitor talk a few months ago. I assume these are desperate sellers.

How would a warranty work when buying from a scalper? Would it be passed onto the new owner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I have seen a small number of FE 3090s on Ebay for less than MSRP. The receipts look like they were bought from a few months ago. I assume these are desperate sellers.

How would a warranty work when buying from a scalper? Would it be passed onto the new owner?
Don't count on it.

I think some vendors like EVGA allow it, most vendors do not retailer certainly will not.

So factor into the price ZERO warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Beware any one selling expensive products for less than MSRP, Ebay is scammers paradise and they make sales because they are to cheap so to good to be true.

Associate
Yes you get warranty if you have the reciept from them.
How’s a scalper meant to know the name of the person they are selling to.
They have no idea until it’s sold, they cant possibly know that when they buy it and as most don’t allow transfer of the warranty then it’s unlikely to be covered

Soldato
I have seen a small number of FE 3090s on Ebay for less than MSRP. The receipts look like they were bought from No Competitor talk a few months ago. I assume these are desperate sellers.

I don't know the policy and willingness of each store to help out, but from my experience, when I've sold a card to someone and that someone send it for warranty, the shop contacted me to refund for the broken card and I've got all the money back - none to the other person. So, if I would have been an ass that guy would have got nothing while I had everything. :)

Perhaps is best to assume "no warranty" when buying second hand, ego don't buy from scalpers.

Man of Honour

Unless you are desperate for a card it would be better to wait for the 4XXX series cards to launch.

Soldato

Clearance section is full of graphics cards here :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/clearance/graphics-cards at least you will get a warranty with it and you can deal with a store not some random person that will vanish for sure once you need warranty help as they will need to RMA the card if faulty and under their warranty and invoice/receipt. Only EVGA allows warranty to be transferred to the next buyer/owner of the card as long as you have the invoice/receipt too that they do ask for sometimes if they don't go off the serial number of the card.

Associate
Clearance section is full of graphics cards here :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/clearance/graphics-cards at least you will get a warranty with it and you can deal with a store not some random person that will vanish for sure once you need warranty help as they will need to RMA the card if faulty and under their warranty and invoice/receipt. Only EVGA allows warranty to be transferred to the next buyer/owner of the card as long as you have the invoice/receipt too that they do ask for sometimes if they don't go off the serial number of the card.
a 90 day warranty so hardly anything to shout about, on b grade at least

Soldato
a 90 day warranty so hardly anything to shout about, on b grade at least

You can still register the card with the manufacturer for warranty or extended warranty if they do that or use the date of purchase to get the rest of the warranty. As you have an invoice/receipt they will honour the warranty period normally. The 90 days is with ocuk and normally 12 months anyways and then you will need to RMA with the manufacturer anyways after the 12 months for some products.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the answers.

To the person who thinks I want a warranty from the scalper: I don't. The scalpers provide the original receipts from the merchant and I was wondering if being in possession of the receipt would transfer the manufacturer's warranty. From the answers here it seems like it wont be transferred.

To those recommending I wait for 40xx: I want the 3090 because I will need the VRAM (24GB) for deep learning. Gaming will be secondary. The 4090 looks to be having much larger power requirements and that put me off. The 4070 and 4080 probably wont have enough VRAM. But I may wait until the reveal to see what their specs are like.

Soldato
I'd think that for potential repair you might be alright with original purchase receipt - and you just fill in your address/details when submitting RMA claim.
But when it comes to refund (if the card is beyond repair or they don't have spare parts), it'll always be the original buyer's card (unless they paid cash in physical store)
The question is, how will it be, if they want to send like-for-like replacement - I'd think it'll be something like original shipping address or original card billing address or such, so you'd be still out of luck.

However - don't forget that if you pay with paypal, it'll give you 180 days of being able to open up a claim - although that certainly does not replace manufacturer's warranty.

Soldato

Some really good bargains in there 6700xt for £389, 3070ti for £449 and if you put in an offer you might get it for less.
Who'd have thought this a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom