Does connecting more fans to motherboard affect overclocking?

Associate
I know this might be a dumb question.

I'm planning on connecting 3 fans per header (3) on my motherboard for a total of 9 fans. Is it better if I bought a hub drawing power directly from the PSU rather than connecting these fans to the motherboard?

My dumb logic says that it will tax the motherboard's circuit, but another part of me says surely they've kept the fan power circuit separate to the CPU and GPU.

Am I wrong or am I wrong?

Should have zero effect on overclocking, even industrial level 3000rpm fans draw very little power compared to other components on the motherboard. Each fan header should be designed to support 1-2 amps depending on the motherboard model.

It's unlikely to make much if any difference.

Purely speculation on my part, but I'd be surprised if CPU power wasn't drawn exclusively from the extra 8 Pin EPS connector(s) these days, as they can supply up to 336 Watts, vs the 144 Watts that a 24 pin ATX connector can deliver (which will likely be used for all of the onboard devices, PCI-E slots etc.)

Thanks all, in that case I shall plug in all these fans without having to spend extra money on a hub (and figuring out a space where it goes for my SFX build)

Unless you're running crazy rpm industrial style fans at 100% on startup you'll have zero issues with running multiple fans off 1 motherboard fan header.

Well I was running 8 fans off 1 header last year, and I haven't killed a fan header since Haswell
That is quite impressive. I think with the amount of Y splitters I've got I can probably only get up to 4... for now

by any chance did you do overclocking on that board?

yep am running an Overclocked 10900k on Maximus XII. Arctic p12 Pwm Pst fans daisy chain, so link them up and go
I just realised I have a DC fan in my mix, so will have to go get another PWM fan... not too confident in mixing it up with the others (defeats the purpose if I go DC mode on one of the headers)

It's unlikely to make much if any difference.

Purely speculation on my part, but I'd be surprised if CPU power wasn't drawn exclusively from the extra 8 Pin EPS connector(s) these days, as they can supply up to 336 Watts, vs the 144 Watts that a 24 pin ATX connector can deliver (which will likely be used for all of the onboard devices, PCI-E slots etc.)
Ever since 4 pin ATX12V connector was introduced, CPU VRM has used exclusively that extra connector as current source.

Should have zero effect on overclocking, even industrial level 3000rpm fans draw very little power compared to other components on the motherboard. Each fan header should be designed to support 1-2 amps depending on the motherboard model.
Unless knowing header actually gives out 2A wouldn't connect more than two such fans.
Three 3000RPM fans could easily push that 1A.
https://www.sunon.com/en/PROSEARCH_FILES/(D12020600G-01)-0.pdf
https://www.delta-fan.com/Download/Spec/AFB1212VH-F00.pdf

Unless you're running crazy rpm industrial style fans at 100% on startup you'll have zero issues with running multiple fans off 1 motherboard fan header.
Even single real industrial fan could overload motherboard fan header.
And there are more powerfull fans than that...

I should've read the manual... D'oh! Looks like I'll put more fans on the Pump header.

https://imgur.com/a/dwDjs16

dwDjs16

Back
Top Bottom