• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does increasing resolution only tax the GPU?

Soldato
Im thinking about playing FSX at higher resolutions. But FSX is NOTORIOUSLY hard on the CPU single core.

My question is. If I up the res to 1440p or 4K. Will it further smash the CPU or just tax the GPU? (Bear in mind it's an old 32 bit game).

I have lots of GPU to spare in FSX, but the CPU is the limiting factor.

Soldato
OP
Quite a few games I’m playing now I use the GPU rendering at a higher res then output on my 1440p. Looks nice and seems to work well...

DSR does funny things to stuff like steam overlay just so you know ;)
Remind me where to set DSR. in Nvidia inspector or somewhere else. Dont think FSX will let me pick a resolution above 1080p unless it is tricked by software into thinking I have a higher monitor.

Soldato
Remind me where to set DSR. in Nvidia inspector or somewhere else. Dont think FSX will let me pick a resolution above 1080p unless it is tricked by software into thinking I have a higher monitor.

Nvidia control panel or in experience you can change the res of a game for example. So right click on desktop it should be listed there, then change the settings in either global or single application.

I think DSR should work in any title but the quality only if the game supports those resolutions. Essentially scales the render resolution which results in a nicer render when resize down to smaller display res... I think thats how it works anyway!

Soldato
OP
Nvidia control panel or in experience you can change the res of a game for example. So right click on desktop it should be listed there, then change the settings in either global or single application.

I think DSR should work in any title but the quality only if the game supports those resolutions. Essentially scales the render resolution which results in a nicer render when resize down to smaller display res... I think thats how it works anyway!
Yeah I got you. FSX will support 4K i know that much. so I'll give DSR a go tonight. will see if it affects FPS any.

Back
Top Bottom