does memory respond differently between b350 & b450?

Soldato
so yesterday i took delivery of the Aorus b450 itx board, unfortunately ive got to wait till tomorrow for my 2600 to arrive, so im unable to test my ballistix sports with it, however i am going to need new ram if they dont work and so im wondering what would be good memory basically?

the ballistix sports are not on the list for my b350m gaming pro, but worked no problem, im hoping for the same on the new board, however with a 2600 i suppose i should just get better ram anyways ha.

Associate
It's amazing you got 12 GB of RAM (3 x 4 GB sticks?) to work with the Ryzen 1200/B350 motherboard. Was it in dual channel (in 'flex mode', which is what they called it in DDR3 days with 3 x sticks) or single channel?

The 2600/B450 should be more tolerant of RAM irregularities than the 1xxx series/B350 was, though it'll not be a miracle worker if you had single channel before and now want dual channel. It sounds like you might soon be in the rare position to tell others how it works out.

Soldato
OP
It's amazing you got 12 GB of RAM (3 x 4 GB sticks?) to work with the Ryzen 1200/B350 motherboard. Was it in dual channel (in 'flex mode', which is what they called it in DDR3 days with 3 x sticks) or single channel?

The 2600/B450 should be more tolerant of RAM irregularities than the 1xxx series/B350 was, though it'll not be a miracle worker if you had single channel before and now want dual channel. It sounds like you might soon be in the rare position to tell others how it works out.

thanks for for reply.

nope the board only has 2 slots so its 2 single channel sticks, but on say speccy for example it says im in dual channel, so who knows? will check bios.. ive been buying my stuff on the zon if its new buys and as these are fairly cheap i tried a single 4gb to test, then i added another, then went single 8gb because of a intel system i had at the time, eventually added the 4gb again, they even overclock even if its only to 2666(XMP).

well fingers crossed the ram will work, but the new stuff is to replace whats in the sig, so i will need new ram either way, i just wont want to buy more of the same stuff if id require better.

edit: actually just went in to bios and pushed the xmp to 2933, so far so good, guess its good ram maybe.

Last edited:
Associate
thanks for for reply.

nope the board only has 2 slots so its 2 single channel sticks, but on say speccy for example it says im in dual channel, so who knows? will check bios.. ive been buying my stuff on the zon if its new buys and as these are fairly cheap i tried a single 4gb to test, then i added another, then went single 8gb because of a intel system i had at the time, eventually added the 4gb again, they even overclock even if its only to 2666(XMP).

well fingers crossed the ram will work, but the new stuff is to replace whats in the sig, so i will need new ram either way, i just wont want to buy more of the same stuff if id require better.

edit: actually just went in to bios and pushed the xmp to 2933, so far so good, guess its good ram maybe.

I think I see now why you felt a complete system overhaul was in order to go from a Ryzen 1200 to a 2600, when in theory they should be compatible on the same motherboard.

With 1x8GB + 1x4 GB DIMMS, I'm 99% sure there's no chance that can run in dual channel configuration, and that'll be an enormous hit to Ryzen's performance no matter what MHz you can get them running at. I don't know what speccy is, but CPU-Z was always reliable when it came to telling me if my temperamental 12 GB DDR3 config was running in single channel or dual channel via flex mode.

I suspect your new Ryzen will be in 'limp mode' without a memory overhaul.

This would be the cheapest high performance-bet compared with your old memory config, which was presumably in single channel mode:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £108.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
just checked cpu-z and this is what is says

BMVCNHa.jpg

they are both single channel sticks, but one is dual rank and the other single rank, so i dont know if that makes a difference, but while im not gaming on this system i cant say i notice any issue and this is the system in the sig, i havent begun the build of the new one yet.

Associate
just checked cpu-z and this is what is says

BMVCNHa.jpg

they are both single channel sticks, but one is dual rank and the other single rank, so i dont know if that makes a difference, but while im not gaming on this system i cant say i notice any issue and this is the system in the sig, i havent begun the build of the new one yet.

I'll be damned, you are dual channel, and on reasonable timings too for that speed. You sure you're on an 8 GB + 4 GB stick?

May I ask you to test your PC with UserBenchmark. That'll confirm if you're getting dual channel-type speeds for real:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

(You'll need to turn off MSI Afterburner for the test to run completely including the graphics part)

Soldato
OP
im not on that system now, ive partly setup my new one, this one i havent got as far as installing afterburner yet or much else.

but the ram works, i tried one stick at a time and again its running in dual channel and i overclocked it to 2933 and running fine :D.

xnS1xXq.jpg
1YD7LKU.jpg

Motherboards have memory channels, memory sticks don't.

oh right okay, i dont know, when ive looked at ram it sometime says single or dual channel, well either way obviously this board doesnt treat them as singles which is a good thing.

Soldato
OP
I'll be damned, you are dual channel, and on reasonable timings too for that speed. You sure you're on an 8 GB + 4 GB stick?

May I ask you to test your PC with UserBenchmark. That'll confirm if you're getting dual channel-type speeds for real:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

(You'll need to turn off MSI Afterburner for the test to run completely including the graphics part)

never used that site before, so ill see if this works

UserBenchmarks: Game 40%, Desk 68%, Work 56%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 88%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 950 - 35.7%
SSD: WDC WDS240G2G0B-00EPW0 240GB - 48%
HDD: Seagate M3 Portable 1TB - 32.3%
RAM: Unknown BLS4G4D240FSC.8FBD BLS8G4D240FSC.16FBD 12GB - 95.5%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI-CF

Relative performance n/a - insufficient samples < this did show up next to the ram despite the overall percentage. i dont know if this answers your question though.

dont know if this web link to the whole page will work, but here goes.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14304615

Associate
never used that site before, so ill see if this works

UserBenchmarks: Game 40%, Desk 68%, Work 56%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 88%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 950 - 35.7%
SSD: WDC WDS240G2G0B-00EPW0 240GB - 48%
HDD: Seagate M3 Portable 1TB - 32.3%
RAM: Unknown BLS4G4D240FSC.8FBD BLS8G4D240FSC.16FBD 12GB - 95.5%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI-CF

Relative performance n/a - insufficient samples < this did show up next to the ram despite the overall percentage. i dont know if this answers your question though.

dont know if this web link to the whole page will work, but here goes.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14304615

The RAM looks perfect, 100% the dual channel bandwidth that you'd expect with 2x8 GB DDR4 sticks at the same speed. Congrats :D

12 GB should last you a good while yet too, so money saved not having to replace the RAM.

Back
Top Bottom