Domain purchase advice

Soldato
Iam intending to setup a basic wordpress site for my photography and need to buy a domain. Can you knowledgeable people offer me some advice on the process involved?

Ive had a look on 123reg for ideas, is it just a case of thinking of a good domain name and checking to see if its available? Then go from there...

You should have a look at this.

Its just general tips on choosing a domain name.
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/domainname.shtml

Thanks, vgood read :)

jamespwhite.com is free iam not sure if I want photography in the URL tho what would you guys suggest?

and also http://www.gbbo.co.uk/ <- After 60 days you can transfer the free .co.uk website address to your website. or you can point to your url from there instantly.

Cheers was thinking of getting the domain from 123reg...

I'd get a domain with and without. You can 301 redirect one to the other for now, and then if you decide you want a personal domain you can split them.

Thanks, quite happy with jamespwhite would prefer to be able to drop the p tho. But james-white and james.white is already taken.

Do many people use their middle names in URL's nowadays?

Also would the price of said URL be the same from price wherever I purchase it from? jamespwhite is £10.99 currently on 123reg

jameswhiteonline.co.uk ?? 2 years, £6.98
jameswhitemedia.co.uk?

the problem with having your name in it, is that if you're adding a word after it, it becomes a pretty long domain name which is prone to spelling mistakes and/or people won't remember it!

jameswhiteonline.co.uk ?? 2 years, £6.98
jameswhitemedia.co.uk?

the problem with having your name in it, is that if you're adding a word after it, it becomes a pretty long domain name which is prone to spelling mistakes and/or people won't remember it!

Yeah I see your point, but I dont really want to design a brand name. I feel using my name would suit my needs better. Jameswhiteuk is free but don't feel thats good option either :(

No and no.

First of all, how are you going to "brand" your business, i.e. what is the best business name you would tell someone? E.g. how would you answer your business phone line?

Rgds

Ref above, don't feel I want to go down the brand route.

Last edited:
Remember, you can always start off with just your name or something simple and get another domain name further down the line... It's not a one-chance decision :)

Remember, you can always start off with just your name or something simple and get another domain name further down the line... It's not a one-chance decision :)

Hmmm, I thought it was pretty much :confused: but long term if I did change domain name I might have a good number of people following me changing it may cause a lot of confusion.

Iam not sure tho I could be wrong, you probably understand this subject more than me! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom