Domain purchase advice

It could take a few days for DNS to update and all that.

You can check that they're pointing to the right name servers through your my.vidahost control panel. Under "My Domains" you can click manage against the one you want to check.

They should be:

ns1.vidahost.com
ns2.vidahost.com
ns3.vidahost.com

From the email.

If you already own your domain or are transferring your domain to us, please set its nameservers to the following:

Nameserver 1: ns1.vidahost.com
Nameserver 2: ns2.vidahost.com
Nameserver 3: ns3.vidahost.com

Please bear in mind that nameserver changes can require between 24 and 72 hours due to DNS propagation and caching. Please ensure you have configured your account (uploaded your files, created email accounts etc) before changing your nameservers.

If you are transferring a domain, we will send a separate e-mail with further details. Transferring a domain doesn't cause any downtime, and is separate to the transfer of your website.

Sorry for sounding dumb, iam not quite sure what the next step is...

Dont I have too, go to go into the domain settings on 123-reg and set the DNS servers to the ones that vidahost supply me with?

Ah sorry, I misread before.

You're domain is with 123 reg and you hosting is with vidahost?

Then yep, you need to go to the domain settings on 123-reg and point it towards the three vidahost name servers. :)

Cheers fella, sorted now :)

I may be wrong here but isnt that too large to be uploading to your site? I thought the preferred method was to upload much lower resolution images so people cant take them and get them printed? I know you will probably have a watermark on there too but 1mb per image just seems like a waste of bandwidth?

Good point! Do you know if you can get the webiste automatically re-size the original image for you or is that no possible? It would save me running all the website images thru LR again just to re-size them thats all.

You said you're using wordpress in your OP, by default it uploads the full size image and creates some smaller copies, but you're still storing that big file on your hosting.

WP has tons of plugins for stuff like this, something like this would be perfect for what you want.

http://wpmu.org/daily-tip-automatically-resize-insanely-large-image-uploads/
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/imsanity/

You'll still use 1mb of your 25gb bandwidth when you upload the file, but you won't be permanently using 1mb of your 2gb storage. :)

Thanks, thats all makes sense :)

Yup will be using wordpress, is there somewhere where you can compare wordpress templates that you like? Also is it possible to edit the template yourself if you dont like certain parts?

Need to setup an email aswell intending to use gmail, thoughts on?

email @ jameswhitephotos.com
info @ jameswhitephotos.com
james @ jameswhitephotos.com
me @ jameswhitephotos.com

Back
Top Bottom