• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

Dom's Training Log

Man of Honour
Those look better, although I can't put my finger on why.

RE: your bench, you're a ****. Although it's annoyingly easy to do when all of your benching sessions turn into a blur.

Associate
OP
Yep, protect floor and plates... and people they know not to stand next to it :)

It felt great, I'm really pleased although I still have no idea how heavy I am going to go in the comp. That's one of the reasons for maybe pulling 200 next week.

Yeah I'm a little annoyed but no more than that, my thoughts were to carry on with the routine as if yesterday was the first day of the week but I'll see how I feel.

Associate
OP
Today's sesh.

Squat
10xbar
8x60kg
5x80kg
3x100kg
2x120kg
1x140kg
3x152.5kg
3x155kg
3x160kg !!!!!! :D :D

Bench
10xbar
8x50kg
5x60kg
3x70kg
1x80kg
8x4x90kg

Machine Row
15x50kg
4x12x70kg

Pulls Throughs
4x8x200lb

Strict Military Press
8x40kg
2x10x42.5kg
10x50kg

Super chuffed with the squats today. When I said the other day it was 157.5kg I was wrong although it doesn't matter now :). 6 weeks ago that was a tough single so to get it for a triple is sweet.

*Warning final set contains excessive shouting :D*

Also, token bench video because I have never had it videoed before. I think it's set 3.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I was got a massive rush after doing it, and then I had to sit down :p. Took a lot out of me but I was on a huge endorphins buzz for the rest of the session.

Plan for tonight is to finish off smolov jr on bench, I was too lazy to go over the weekend :). Then it's some chain squats fitted into my light squatting day. I'll get a video up when I'm done with it but I mainly just want to play around with it.

Also bank holiday hours today so I have to train fasted :mad:.

Associate
OP
Squat
somexbar
8x60kg
5x80kg
5x100kg
3x100kg
6x2x100kg + 4 chains

Bench
10xbar
10x40kg
5x60kg
3x70kg
1x80kg
7x3x95kg

Squats were fun, I really like the chains. It's just a little unfortunate that the video I got isn't the best set because the chains on the left get stuck on a plate and it's just a little wobbly. The rest were good though.

Bench was easy but I ended up sacking off the rest of the session because the resident douche bag turned up and just starting getting in the way and being a ****. He is nicknamed Nandralone for a reason.

Not bad session all in all I'm just a bit frustrated that it ended when it did.

Associate
OP
The more of the chain that is off the floor the heavier the weight. So light at the bottom and heavy at the top. That would have been about 136kg at the top and 102-105kg at the bottom. It's good for rate of force development, so speed work :). And it's much more fun and alpha than just putting more plates on ;), it scares all of the nancies out of the gym :p.

Associate
OP
It's the same kind of thing as putting bands onto a lift, although I am of the opinion that chains are better because bands can be very unpredictable.

Associate
OP
Finally sorting out my competition right up :).

So lets start at the beginning. I weighed in at 73.2kg in the morning after a little sweat in the car on the way there, then I enjoyed my lovely re-hydration salts and some Lucozade to get some carbs in me. Then when that had settled down I had a nice carb heavy protein shake, it was strange to see my bodies reaction to such high levels of sugar when my insulin sensitivity was so high.

They were doing the masters category first so I had around 2 - 2.5 hours between weigh in and first lift. This was ideal so I could get all of my nutrients in before starting anything tough.

Squat
Warmups started fine but the rack I was using got a little busy so I swapped to a different one being used by another bunch of chaps. Little did I know that the plates they were using were not standard 20kg plates. They were 25kg. This means that instead of my fourth warm up being 120kg, I jumped all the way from 100kg to 140kg :/, and instead of finishing on 140kg I finished on 160kg :(. Bear in mind my opener was 155kg, this really messed things up. My first attempt was easy enough but it was a lot harder than it should have been, it also had a big affect on me mentally thinking that 140kg was really hard. My second attempt at 160kg was ok but just a little slow. In my opinion the warm ups are why I failed my 3rd attempt at 165kg, looking back and seeing how fast the 160kg warm up was probably would have put me on track for 170kg which sucks really. However it's not the end of the world because it was still a hefty comp pb :).

Bench
Warm ups were fine as weights go but the bench I was on, instead of having the hooks outside where you grip, they were inside which made everything really weird. It was nothing really, I'd just rather not use that bench again :p. First attempt was 90kg, no drama here but I didn't realise there was a rule that you need to have your feet flat on the floor and I normally have my heels up a bit. Weight went up easily so I went on to the next attempt as planned. 95kg was next, it was a little slow but not too bad so I thought I would go for 100kg. This is the only thing I am actually annoyed about throughout the entire comp. So I started the lift fine, the bar got down to my chest, I waited for the press command and pushed the weight off my chest with ease if a little slowly. Then I got cramp in my back, in my spinal erectors, once that happened the weight wasn't going anywhere unfortunately. I am disappointed about that because it was such an annoying thing that prevented me from getting a nice pb. Oh well :).

Deadlift
So after the back cramp I spent a minute or two rolling my back and then got on with my warm ups which went fine, they felt nice and fast and were easy. My first attempt at 180kg was a little slow off the floor but easy, I'm putting that down to the time between my last warm up and my first attempt being a little short but I got the lift so it doesn't matter. My next a 190kg felt much better and wasn't too slow so I decided to go for 200kg. I'm also a little annoyed at this because I really want to pull 200kg! If you didn't guess I missed this one. It could have been anything but I think I was just a little tired :/.

I came second . . . out of two :D. The other guy had a monster deadlift at 220kg and he beat me by 30kg, so we were evenly matched before that.

My final total was 445kg, and that works out to to be a wilks of 322.6, which isn't bad. I do feel like it could have gone better but I am not too disappointed really because I am still coming back from injury really, and it was very stressful doing it in the middle of my exams. I don't recommend doing it when you are going to be very stressed :).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Really good lifting Dom, and done with perfect form too which isn't something you see when watching comp videos. What's your plan of attack for nationals?

What shoes were you wearing ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Indeed nice work mate :)

Made some of those lifts look dead easy, and as you say, if the warm ups weren't such a pain things would have been even better no doubt!

That place needs to get some proper squat racks or bench platforms, the damn things move around all over the place on the floor...Or atleast attach / block them properly :p

P.S: Nice socks :D

Back
Top Bottom