• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

Dom's Training Log

Associate
OP
Today's training :(

Tired.

Deadlift
180kgx3
170kgx3
170kgx3
170kgx2
170kgx2
170kgx2

Wide Grip Comp Bench
105kgx3
102.5kgx3
102.5kgx3
100kgx3
100kgx3

Squats +50kg Chains
120kgx2
140kgx2
140kgx2
140kgx2
140kgx2

Seated Row
90kgx6
100kgx8
100kgx8
100kgx8
100kgx8
100kgx12 - Finished with cheat reps for dat pump

Knackered now.

Also those squats were nearly 190kg at the top and they felt awesome :).

Another also, decided enough is enough and it's time to lose some weight. I was 85kg last night and 83-and-a-bitkg this morning. That is near enough 12kg more than I was in September. I'm going to start back loading properly tomorrow and see how much that affects my weight. I still plan on competing in the 83kg class for now so if I get back down to ~80kg then I will just stay there for the time being.

I'll put up some detes of this tomorrow along with some sexy pics :p.

Associate
OP
Ha ha, I'd actually forgotten about that. I think I might well leave it until next week now because the exams are taking my concentration. Its going to be skinny to fat to juicy actually because I'm using the picture of me the night before nationals in September when I was shredded :p.

I'm down to about 81kg now, so it's getting there :). If I can continue to lose the weight without having any affect on training I'm might keep going and see how low I can get. My training is the important thing for me, if my recovery takes a hit or weights stop going up then I'll change my diet again, I don't need to be as light as possible right now.

Associate
OP
Yeah I will be, but I'm not sure what category I will be in for nationals. I could certainly lift in the 83s and do alright but I could probably lift in the 74s as well which means I would most likely win and also set some records while I'm at it. If I wanted to do the lighter weight class I would need to qualify for it so I'd have to do another comp, around June time, in the 74s. If it's going to be very easy for me to get down to that weight and I can still shift the weights I want to then it's silly not to. However if the lower body weight slows my progression too much then I won't bother. I just need to see how it plays out, it's not a big deal either way.

Associate
OP
It'll be good for you and Ice while I'm left with a total 100kg short of what you guys will do :(.

It is going to be good though, I'm looking forward to it :).

Associate
OP
Yeah, so, yesterday's training was fun.

We wanted to be quick so I was super setting my wide grip comp paused bench with my deads so that means it wasn't entirely wasted :/. I was meant to be going for a two rep Max pull and warmups were going great so I decided to go for 220kg. The first rep went up very nicely, not to slow, no gives in form and felt easy. The second rep started fine but the started to shift to the left :confused:, then it started to pull away from me a little, not too much but enough to put me into a weaker position and make me fail the rep.

I didn't think anything of it at the time because I have had similar happen and felt nothing bad, I even thought about a second attempt, but after I had changed the bar and relaxed a little I started to feel something in my lower back. It was strange, it didn't hurt but it just felt a little stiff and kind of tight. I took the weight off it and it began to relax, after 20mins or so it felt well enough to have a little walk around, it definitely felt better but I wanted to try something else. So I attached all of the bands I could find to the top of the rack and hung upside down with them around my hips to get some traction on my back and get it to relax further. I collected about 10-15 mins up there in an few goes, then did some gentle rolling on it with a double ball and by the time we had to leave it was barely there any more. I have spent every chance since then with a very hot bag of grain on it and it keeps getting better each time. It now just feels like I deadlifted yesterday so everything is looking up.

Lots of time is going to be spent on it over the next week because I'll be damned if this little phaggoty thing is going to stop me busting some pbs in two weeks time!

Also did my wife grip comp bench up to 110kgx2 with a couple of drop sets which was fun :).

Video of the incident:

Associate
OP
Yeah it was. I haven't seen it come back since so I'd be a little surprised if it was related but it could be.

Ha ha woops :D. However, that sounds like it would be a good challenge :p.

Associate
OP
Back doesn't appear to be a problem :).

Squats
barxlots + GMs
60kgx8 +2paused
100kgx5
120kgx1
140kgx1
155kgx1
165kgx1
170kgx3
170kgx3
165kgx1 I set up funny and decided to come back to it but I didn't bother because we didn't have time.

3ct Paused Bench
barxlots
60kgx8
70kgx6
80kgx5
90kgx3
100kgx2
105kgx2
102.5kgx2
100kgx2
100kgx2
100kgx2

Deadlift Meant to be paused but no time
barxsome
60kgxsome
100kgx5 paused
140kgx3 paused Also meant to be 2 but forgot
140kgx2 paused
140kgx2 speed reps instead
140kgx2 speed
160kgx2 speed
160kgx2 speed

Phaggoty gym closed early again, despite the fact that the roads are completely clear :confused:, everything was a real rush as well because it was crazy busy. All of the deadlifts were done in about 10mins while benching at the same time :mad:. Squats felt great, equal pb of 170kgx3 but for 2 sets this time :cool:. Bench was crazy easy, felt like nothing in my hands.

Back feels fine, maybe a little domsy but nothing bad at all. Very relieved :).

Associate
OP
My regular training is 3 days a week, Monday Wednesday and Friday, but I'm going to be going in on Saturdays more so I can do some Olympic lifting and maybe some rowing. That might progress to some strongman esque stuff when the weather is nicer.

Doms of peace today. Weirdly my upper back is lit up :confused:

Associate
OP
Bro, why you no post photo of you with your awesome trophy :( I spent so much monies :(

I'm sorry bro, my posing pouch has been in the dry cleaners all week :(.

But srsly, I will get one. Probably on Wednesday when I'm back in the gym.

Sounds good LiE. The Mackenzies are much weaker than the nose torque you tried at ours but they will still give you a boot up the arse :).

Associate
OP
Good plan, I think I would have been put off for life if I had gone straight to nose torque!

We got a new batch and I had forgotten how strong they are when fresh.

Associate
OP
Well this week has been a little frustrating training wise.

I have had a tendency after a heavy leg day to get some ropey feelings in my quads from my hip flexors being incredibly tight, it mostly stopped being a problem when I got more aggressive with my soft tissue and stretching. However after that little mishap with my deads I appear to have aggregated the issue but only on my left leg. Whatever exactly happened to cause the rotation obviously loading something in my left hip strangely. If has been very painful all week and was even giving me problems walking on Wednesday.

This was concerning, so I spent nearly every free moment heating, stretching and smashing my quad, it was getting better slowly but I having someone smash it for me today at physio was amazing. I think it has almost removed it completely which is a massive load off my mind. I am squatting tomorrow with some reasonably light doubles so we will see how it goes but I am going to continue with the slightly over cautious treatment for recovery because I do not want anything new to arise or any of my small niggles becoming bigger than that.

I going to smash this comp next week and nothing will stop that. It pb time bishes!

In other news I'm adjusting my diet to incorporate a little more food to make sure I am recovering as fast as possible. I won't be much heavier on comp day, I'll just probably look a little less sexy :(. I decided to abort the whole getting ripped plan for now at least, it was daft to think about it so close to comp but I did lose enough weight to get me back into the right weight class :p.

Also bench has been going great, all kinds of gains!

Associate
OP
Some squat doubles tonight and we will find out how things are going in the leg department. Then after that we are going out for food and I'm going to eat my own body weight in rice :cool:.

Associate
OP
Last night went ok.

Squats
120kgx1
130kgx1
140kgx1
150kgx1
160kgx2
140kgx2

Not bad but not heavy enough for my liking. I didn't push it at all so I could have done a little more.

Long Paused Bench
100kgx2
105kgx2
110kgx2 Came out of nowhere and was very easy :)
115kgx1+f Took a bad line on the second rep so missed it

Absolutely knackered at this point since I was running on about 4 hours sleep and I'd been coaching since 7am, so sacked off the rest since I'm doing openers on monday and I just wanted to go and eat :cool:.

Associate
OP
Then you can probably eat pretty much as normal. The more normal you can keep things the better the chance that you can perform as normal. If you are concerned then just eat after the weigh in, it's best in your case to just eat what you find most comfortable. Make sure you have enough food for the day, you probably won't get much chance to go out and buy something. I find shakes work best because it's easy to get a lot in them. They will have some small snack and stuff on sale from the little cafe but it's obviously not the best.

If you need anything more specific then of course ask.

Something that just occurred to me was that you might be thinking about some king of pre-workout. I don't tend to take them but I will have caffeine just before I start to warm up for squats and then again at the same time for deadlifts. So you might want to have two doses, one at each of those points or what ever you prefer.

Associate
OP
Yeah that sounds alright. I always find that I'm flagging a little by the time deads come around, hence the second dose of caffeine. I'm going to try and find a massive bag of jerky from somewhere to take, some peanut butter is always good and maybe some other stuff I'll prepare at home.

Yeah, there is an all you can eat round the corner that we went to last time which was pretty good and I think the plan is to go there again.

Associate
OP
Thanks man :D.

I think the last year has been quite a successful one from a training stand point. My injuries happened around September time 2011, so that's when recovery started really.

The first few months were spent just seeing if I could manage any training and whether the problems would work themselves out on their own, this obviously wasn't the case :).

For me there wasn't any question of whether I wanted to carry on training and try to recover or not it was going to happen.

I started a more directed recovery protocol around Christmas time, playing around with some new exercises and new knowledge I had gained through discussions with my physio and other guys I knew who know a lot about training. This then became the program that I have on the beginning of this log.

I had found that I could squat if I was careful and the same for benching. The other exercises were picked because, again, they didn't hurt and the would all have a beneficial affect on my recovery. I followed this and noticed my body getting stronger so the next routine could be a little more advanced and I could include some deadlifting. All the time through these recovery cycles mobility and form were placed above everything else.

I really enjoyed lifting again so at first I wasn't bothered at all that weights were so light but as I began to feel my strength coming back I became more and more annoyed at the fact that it was all easy, but I stuck with it and refused to let myself push too far and stuck with what I had planned. I think that is the main reason that I managed to come back so strong.

After getting half way through that routine was finding myself more than strong enough to do the weights I had down and I felt awesome so I decided to tentatively push it. I managed to get close to my old pbs after almost 9 months without lifting even kind of close to max and most of that time was spent not even squatting or deadlifting at all.

So the only real mental challenge was feeling that all of the weights were too easy but that must have been because my rehab training was so good. In starting again from scratch I built a base that was much stronger than I had before. If I hadn't been so strict on every single millimeter of positioning in every lift then I think it would have been different. I think that is why I didn't come across any physical problems.

You mentioned that you have some weaknesses in the small stabilising muscles (I'm guessing in your shoulder), so it will be vital for you to make sure every exercise is done perfectly. With regards to squats and deadlifts make sure that form is bang on and that you hammer your core training to make everything absolutely perfect once again. Mobility is something that must never be underestimated, having full range in all of your joints increases the chance of fully functioning muscles in those joint which means more stability, more strength and less chance of injury.

The best source of knowledge I know of for mobility information is mobility wod:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/

My biggest piece of advice would be to start at the beginning and work through and do the same with training.

I realise I have composed a small novel for you here so sorry about that, but I hope I have included everything that you wanted L). Let me know if you want any more information about anything.

All the best for you recovery good sir.

Back
Top Bottom