DONNINGTON TRACK DAY JANUARY 28th - 50 CAR LIMIT - 98Db driveby - £199

Soldato
Rather than create a new thread, can anyone point me in the direction of how to get a car ready for a track day? I've got some time on Spa in the summer (tentatively).

Soldato
Rather than create a new thread, can anyone point me in the direction of how to get a car ready for a track day? I've got some time on Spa in the summer (tentatively).

What car is it?

Usual maintenance really and have some mechanical sympathy, do warm up and cool down laps.

* Fluid checks and replacement if needed.

* Brakes working well is a bonus, on the road you may only need them for a hard stop once in emergency, on track they get a repeated pounding.

* Tires, depends on the car and budget, some road tires can be fun on track, tires that are more trackday focussed tend to poor for everyday use, I got caught in a savage downpour when running some R888s, was not a fun experience, on track they were great, I recently did a day out with some Cup2 and they worked really well.

Soldato
What car is it?

Usual maintenance really and have some mechanical sympathy, do warm up and cool down laps.

* Fluid checks and replacement if needed.

* Brakes working well is a bonus, on the road you may only need them for a hard stop once in emergency, on track they get a repeated pounding.

* Tires, depends on the car and budget, some road tires can be fun on track, tires that are more trackday focussed tend to poor for everyday use, I got caught in a savage downpour when running some R888s, was not a fun experience, on track they were great, I recently did a day out with some Cup2 and they worked really well.
Thanks, Mercedes C43. I was planning on changing the brake pads and getting it serviced. Just wasn't sure if there are any specific tips or "must do" items that might not get mentioned when tracking you car.

Soldato
Thanks, Mercedes C43. I was planning on changing the brake pads and getting it serviced. Just wasn't sure if there are any specific tips or "must do" items that might not get mentioned when tracking you car.

Pretty much what SupraWez said plus you would probably have to lower the tyres pressure as well.
Main things to look for are: tyres condition and pressure, brake pads and fluid, engine oil and coolant. (bleeding the brake fluid after a trackday might be advised)

Do warm up and cool down laps, also DON'T use your handbrake when you stop, turn off the car and leave it in gear. You might want to put a tape holding it down so you don't use it by mistake.

Soldato
Do warm up and cool down laps, also DON'T use your handbrake when you stop, turn off the car and leave it in gear. You might want to put a tape holding it down so you don't use it by mistake.

That might be a problem on a car with an electronic handbrake that automatically applies.

Back
Top Bottom