Dont be 'bamboo'zled

Man of Honour
Watered fully a few days before. Tried digging it out but too many roots.

IgrWY60.jpeg

Thought about buying an SDS drill and chisel to make it a bit easier but figured I'd try a 32mm spade bit. Dewalt 1 Bamboo 0.

7RDCR96.jpeg

Very heavy, used a support post a tree no longer requires, then jet washed it to get rid of most of the mud. Belly of the beast:

sdtxaIg.jpeg

Found a few long roots that I've taken out. Hopefully I have it all, if I see any shoots come up I will not be happy! :cry:

Soldato
Watered fully a few days before. Tried digging it out but too

sdtxaIg.jpeg

Found a few long roots that I've taken out. Hopefully I have it all, if I see any shoots come up I will not be happy! :cry:
Bamboo is a nightmare,

I dug out around 10m^2 of roots like that a few years back. Took best part of a week with a mattock and filled a midi skip.

There will be residual bits of roots that sprout so keep on top of it for a year at least until the energy in the rhizomes is finished. Or cover it with a thick layer of cardboard and some slabs to block the shoots from getting light for 12 months

Finally free in my garden though one neighbour has some in the corner so I dug down 18 inches and made a barrier from 2" ex council slab and concrete. It hasn't got through that yet.

Soldato
There's two types of bamboo and they're not identified and differentiated properly for sale, which is dumb.

We've got some nice clump forming bamboo that hasn't spread more than 30cm in almost 10 years.

Bamboo with running rhizomes are frequently sold alongside these and that's the source of the problem.

Yeah Ive got a clump forming bamboo in garden, its got massive though in less than 6 years. It's a fountain type, I think they look great as they offer something all year round and can act as a privacy screen. Best thing is they need very little care, just chop at the base if it gets a bit too big.

IMG-0058.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone had much success removing Bamboo?

It's taking ages. I have axe. 1.5m concret breaker Bar and a root slayer shovel.

Have Black and some normal colour stuff. Both I think are clumping but the black as a few runners going in lawn.

Man of Honour
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom