DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
No reply here either....

Still treating their customers badly XD

I've still seen next to nothing in terms of news articles or anything on gaming websites highlighting what MSI did to its customers and is still not even replying properly.

you can't have a trade in period and cap the timelimit when you breach consumer rights and advertise stuff on your website that you do not honour or stand by....

Associate
She left many months ago

Since you left are you allowed to tell us anything about the whole subject that you couldn't beforehand?

Or did you leave via an "agreement" so you can't legally say anything?

Goes to show - a lot of people left after this issue, either they got fired for handling it incorrectly or does MSI treat its staff badly also that makes them want to leave? (question, not a statement)

Associate
OP
@Loki

Since you left are you allowed to tell us anything about the whole subject that you couldn't beforehand?

Or did you leave via an "agreement" so you can't legally say anything?

Goes to show - a lot of people left after this issue, either they got fired for handling it incorrectly or does MSI treat its staff badly also that makes them want to leave? (question, not a statement)

Soldato
My reason/s for leaving MSI had nothing, zero to do with MXM. Same for Carolyn. My choice was Career, lifestyle and nothing more.

Was anybody fired because of MXM - No

Did anybody leave because of MXM - No

Upto you whether you believe me. The IT industry is a small knit community and it's common for people to move between close competitors like MSI and Asus. Don't read too much into me or Carolyn leaving MSI because seriously you are wide of the mark if you think it relates to MXM. Don't go all Daily Mail to try and create a story ;)

In regards to some of the questions from @tropicola, No agreements were/are in place that would prevent me from giving my views and opinions on this situation. I could offer you the facts from MSI at the time, e.g. number of people who traded up because of MXM or the number of people who traded up because it was a good economical way to get a better laptop, you would be surprised. I don't work there now so it's probably unfair of me to offer them. I have my OWN opinion on it but that won't remedy anybody new to this situation so it adds no value.

TBH Guys i'm going to draw a line under it from my side.

Sgarrista
Commissario
In regards to some of the questions from @tropicola, No agreements were/are in place that would prevent me from giving my views and opinions on this situation. I could offer you the facts from MSI at the time, e.g. number of people who traded up because of MXM or the number of people who traded up because it was a good economical way to get a better laptop, you would be surprised. I don't work there now so it's probably unfair of me to offer them. I have my OWN opinion on it but that won't remedy anybody new to this situation so it adds no value.

It think most people would appreciate a view on it coming from someone without a swinging axe above their head.

JF-

JF-

Associate
Any new contact details?
On a side note, anyone know a way to obtain schematics for MSI products. I am only after schematics for a gt72s 6qe that has gone down.
MSI Poland won’t give me anything.

Associate
My reason/s for leaving MSI had nothing, zero to do with MXM. Same for Carolyn. My choice was Career, lifestyle and nothing more.

Was anybody fired because of MXM - No

Did anybody leave because of MXM - No

Upto you whether you believe me. The IT industry is a small knit community and it's common for people to move between close competitors like MSI and Asus. Don't read too much into me or Carolyn leaving MSI because seriously you are wide of the mark if you think it relates to MXM. Don't go all Daily Mail to try and create a story ;)

TBH Guys i'm going to draw a line under it from my side.

numbers of people traded up is meaningless tbh, they didn't get what was advertised. Sure they upgrade as their only option or be stuck with an outdated laptop.

if you think this was a "good" way of obtaining a better latop (over a mxm upgrade as advertised) there is seriously something wrong with your logic, we had to beg, harass and threaten court action to obtain this way... MSI didn't want to do anything.

I'm not trying to create stories, but the timing of people leaving (don't forget arjibear early on) and MXM seemed a bit odd and would you blame me for making the connection?

I would assume you guys left though, as I would have had I worked for a company that advertised things they weren't prepared to honour.

Reminder it took us over 6 months to get our laptop, how much time/effort was wasted to get a fair deal... hardly economical....

It think most people would appreciate a view on it coming from someone without a swinging axe above their head.

not sure what he means either, if loki said there wasn't an agreement and he left for career movements then what axe does he have over his head?

if it counts for anything loki was one of the good rep's at MSI he tried, was honest but sadly had his hands tied in terms of what he could do/offer at the time.

Caporegime
It's having a lasting effect though, in the past few months I have had 2 friends ask for laptop advice, both had MSI as part of the options from their own browsing, which I swiftly removed for them and pointed to other manufacturers :D

Soldato
numbers of people traded up is meaningless tbh, they didn't get what was advertised. Sure they upgrade as their only option or be stuck with an outdated laptop.

if you think this was a "good" way of obtaining a better latop (over a mxm upgrade as advertised) there is seriously something wrong with your logic, we had to beg, harass and threaten court action to obtain this way... MSI didn't want to do anything.

I'm not trying to create stories, but the timing of people leaving (don't forget arjibear early on) and MXM seemed a bit odd and would you blame me for making the connection?

I would assume you guys left though, as I would have had I worked for a company that advertised things they weren't prepared to honour.

Reminder it took us over 6 months to get our laptop, how much time/effort was wasted to get a fair deal... hardly economical....

Understand your point of view but I disagree. Your logic is entirely correct if everyone bought a laptop BECAUSE of MXM. As I said there were many people who bought a laptop at the time just purely because it was the latest tech on the market. MXM upgradeability may have been a 1st choice consideration for some 3rd or 4th choice for others. From the people, I spoke to over the phone (and there was a fair few who I spoke to) quite a few did the upgrade because of the work that you and @MiSJAH had put in to make the public aware. For them, it was as easier to spend let's say £700 to upgrade and get a new Laptop with new warranty etc. than sell their existing privately and then go and spend another £1500 - £2000 on a new laptop.

People leaving, I take your point. Arjibear is somebody who I have worked with at three companies over the last ten years or so. More like brothers than workers. I can understand why people would think what they did because of the timing of him and me moving on. All I can say was that our time had run its course and time to move on. MXM coincided but was not the motivation.

On a personal level, I admire some the work that has gone on championing the consumer's cause.

Associate
OP
Understand your point of view but I disagree. Your logic is entirely correct if everyone bought a laptop BECAUSE of MXM.

As I said there were many people who bought a laptop at the time just purely because it was the latest tech on the market. MXM upgradeability may have been a 1st choice consideration for some 3rd or 4th choice for others.

What? If I bought my GT72 purely to watch hentai on, therefore not needing the advertised upgrade path, that in someway should stop MSI's advertising from applying to me?

MSI advertised the feature, sold on the back of the feature, and reneged on it's own marketing.

The end user usage is irrelevant. The advertised and marketed features are the responsibility of the manufacturer, not the customer.

Please stop suggesting anything otherwise.

From the people, I spoke to over the phone (and there was a fair few who I spoke to) quite a few did the upgrade because of the work that you and @MiSJAH had put in to make the public aware. For them, it was as easier to spend let's say £700 to upgrade and get a new Laptop with new warranty etc. than sell their existing privately and then go and spend another £1500 - £2000 on a new laptop.

But why were these people in the circumstance? Because the manufacturer reneged on their marketing.

People leaving, I take your point. Arjibear is somebody who I have worked with at three companies over the last ten years or so. More like brothers than workers. I can understand why people would think what they did because of the timing of him and me moving on. All I can say was that our time had run its course and time to move on. MXM coincided but was not the motivation.

On a personal level, I admire some the work that has gone on championing the consumer's cause.

@Loki the questions above are not so much aimed at you, as aimed at the business practices of MSI.

Much as we may disagree about aspects of the MSI MXM situation, I genuinely wish you all the best at ROG.

Associate
Hi Misjah,

I bought the MSI GT80s 6QF, my first ever laptop and intended it to replace my desktop after it failed to start after coming back to Australia. Didn't realise that I can't upgrade the components and wasn't made aware of any "make amends" trade up programs until today as I'm googling ways to upgrade some internals.

This laptop has already been sent back 3 times, once was within the first month due to a "Mura" effect on the LCD screen, another for a fan issue and the recent one was for a fried motherboard.

Any news on the upgrade scam and would you know of how MSI is treating Australian victims?

Associate
OP
Hi Misjah,

I bought the MSI GT80s 6QF, my first ever laptop and intended it to replace my desktop after it failed to start after coming back to Australia. Didn't realise that I can't upgrade the components and wasn't made aware of any "make amends" trade up programs until today as I'm googling ways to upgrade some internals.

This laptop has already been sent back 3 times, once was within the first month due to a "Mura" effect on the LCD screen, another for a fan issue and the recent one was for a fried motherboard.

Any news on the upgrade scam and would you know of how MSI is treating Australian victims?

Hi @LordT ,

I think Australia got screwed in the entire ordeal.

Maybe reach out to the UK arm ([email protected]) and ask them to put you in touch with whom would be dealing with the trade in scheme is AUS?

When you get the contact details drop me a pm here.

Good luck!

Associate
Just wow!

The retailer I bought my MSI GT80s 6QF just sent me the reply from MSI Australia:

"It is not available in Australia. MSI Australia never advertised or promised that it will support GTX 10 series graphics. Cannot be upgraded to the 10series as NVIDIA had made too much changes in the circuitry design and power requirements. Thank you"

I initially bought this to replace my broken down desktop because I read that it was upgradeable, seems like I will need to go down the Ombudsman and Fair Trade Route.

Would anyone else have any suggestions?

Associate
Just wow!

The retailer I bought my MSI GT80s 6QF just sent me the reply from MSI Australia:

"It is not available in Australia. MSI Australia never advertised or promised that it will support GTX 10 series graphics. Cannot be upgraded to the 10series as NVIDIA had made too much changes in the circuitry design and power requirements. Thank you"

I initially bought this to replace my broken down desktop because I read that it was upgradeable, seems like I will need to go down the Ombudsman and Fair Trade Route.

Would anyone else have any suggestions?

i tried looking at the time for AUS advertising but unable to find it.

I would;

Check the box - see if anything states MXM upgrade on it
Check the site you purchased it from any emails/documents to see if it mentions MXM upgrade

If you can't find anything you won't have a leg to stand on if this wasn't advertised in AUS, if it was in UK/USA that is irrelevant to AUS market.

Before you contact the ombudsman, find the above so you can send this. However MSI doesn't work with any ombudsman as far as I am aware and didn't even reply when I did log this in the UK with one of them and they have no obligation to do so.

Unless Australia have different laws, but you would still have to established and provide evidence it was advertised in the AUS market.

Perhaps use wayback machine to find old advertising on MSI website?

only thing i found was this;

https://au.msi.com/news/detail/k-pc...wRu_LS5NyZMHLhGAjbr6srFeaOVAhho3bGE1KZAc2eA~~

"Flexible MXM graphics module design for future upgrade
MSI GT series always designed with highest level graphics with MXM module, because we know gamers will never be satisfied of their GPU when next generations graphics come out, so MXM module design gives more possibility for upgrade their graphics to next higher level, also the MXM graphics is easier to repair and switch. On the other hand, independent MXM module could make GPU colder and prevent the heat of GPU stay on the motherboard, which could make the motherboard and components on it with longer lifecycle."

Mentions upgradeable GPU but doesn't say supports x10 version etc?

https://au.msi.com/news/detail/751867da54051e8825bb700aec021413

MXM VGA Upgradable Design – Keep Your Weapon Sharp and Edgy
MSI is the first and the only one in the market to offer MXM Graphics Card Upgrade Kit, making the dream of future updates come true. Whenever the next generation GPU is out in the market, you get to experience the most up-to-date gaming effects by simply replacing the GPU module.
* MXM upgrade program is only available in selected countries and selected customers with special service, not for end-users to make upgrade by their own.

maybe MSI aus were a bit smarter in their advertising departments compared to US/UK? :p

Last edited:
Associate
Aust has pretty strict laws to protect the consumer. Even if they didn't specifically market the upgrade ability aspect in Aust, the fact they advertised it on their global site should mean something. It is a Global product after all and there were Australian reviews that stated this as a "pro" in their reviews.

It should be similar unless they had a regional disclaimer. Not much I can do except go through the channels available and avoid MSI like the plague form now on and warn others about them too.

Back
Top Bottom