Doom 3 VR

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The git has not been updated for ages. Where did you hear this?

I read it on the link that I found on GIT. In it are comments about v.22 adding new control updates, e.g. to resolve the mouse control issue. Link here:
https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR

If you search on .22, then read the section 4 on New Features, that talks about v.22.

Associate
How on earth can you guys play this, a friend and I tried it and felt sick for hours. The tunnel vision didn't really help, no other Vr games affect me at all.

Soldato
OP
How on earth can you guys play this, a friend and I tried it and felt sick for hours. The tunnel vision didn't really help, no other Vr games affect me at all.
Quite easily, what device?

Lol its the steam game genuine thought ild give it a go its English in the Language options in the steam properties, but i have added all these VR mods as to this thread. They speak English in the audio, but all the computers and menus are in German.
Had a quick look in the cfg files cannot see and regional settings?

Soldato
This one needs a bump following the recent influx of people new to vr.
Somebody over at r/Vive recently posted up a guide that gave me the impetus to go back to it, and remind me how brilliant it is.

I take no credit for this:
  1. Get the Doom 3 BFG Edition on Steam ->install
  2. Install the latest fully possesed VR mod from Kozgit (it's the best VR mod of the two available) https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

3. Install the HD Mod ( this is mandatory, makes it look a lot better. wildsitevr made a great HD bundle which works also with all the expansion missions of Doom 3.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7PbzVDpljSdb0ZxVE1qb0JkM1U?usp=sharing
  4. To play start the Doom3BfgVR.exe

There's a ton of vr options, more than most concerning levels of vr intensity. If you have the legs I recommend going full bore with it, as sedate as d3 might have seemed before, not so much in vr:)

Permabanned
Are you forced into using teleportaion to move? I thought that ruined RoboRecall.

Looking forward to this as I never got around to playing BFG when it was released.

Soldato
I've got this working and it's amazing! I've got used to using the thumbstick to move rather than teleportation. Using the left hand for flashlight and the right for the gun is really immersive and feels really natural. You don't realize how big those imps are until one is towering over you!

Soldato
Installed this on the weekend and gave it a proper blast for an hour this evening and yes it is good. I agree that using Touch controllers with the flashlight in one hand and gun in the other works really well in dark areas. The PDA popup is also pretty cool - as is pressing the lift/airlock/code lock buttons with your finger. Lot's of turning in rooms and corridors meant some disorientation in my playing area - guardian system flashing to find I'm not stood at all where I think I am! Biggest problem so far is that the game saves seem flaky with the last couple not working and I don't really want to keep stating from near the beginning again.

Associate
I can get the expansions to work but trying to play the main campaign just causes the program to stop responding. Anyone else have similar problems?

Permabanned
I can get the expansions to work but trying to play the main campaign just causes the program to stop responding. Anyone else have similar problems?

I just installed via Steam before unzipping the HD graphics pack and then running the setup for the VR mod. Launched via Doom3BFGVR.exe. Are you sure you have installed the mods to the correct folders though I doubt the expansions would work if you hadn't?

It did pause for me with a black screen through the rift for the first 20-30 seconds then said something about creating a new setup on first run. I also noticed that windows asks for firewall permissions which maybe the cause for you thinking that it had crashed.

Soldato
How long are you leaving it? The HD mod seems to require the levels to be built (at least the first time) so perhaps try giving it a few minutes before assuming it has crashed.

Associate
Left it for 10 mins last night but it always crashes straight after the opening screen. I will have to tinker with it and see if I can sort it out.

Soldato
Have you tried it without the HD mod? You can play the game in VR with the normal graphics. The textures are blurrier, but it's still highly playable.

Back
Top Bottom