DOS a Programming language, or not?

~J~

~J~

Soldato
But when does the Query become a Command?

SELECT * FROM Customers is querying the database
INSERT INTO Customers is a command.

A view is a query of a database and it's tables.
A stored procedure is a collection of commands that can both query and control a database.

I don't think you can say exactly what SQL (ANSI or Transact) can be categorised as.

Associate
I agree T-SQL is closer to a true general purpose programming language than ANSI SQL due to the addition of control flow etc., however the argument was, does ANSI SQL meet the criteria of being a non-general programming language?

Scripting can be used in the context of a server side application, i.e. php or for the control language used to control aspects of an application. This is different from the concept of a batch file, which will run a series of applications, take user input, display characters on a screen all in series.

We are getting down to semantics and the meaning of terms in all industries can change through time.

For instance, RPG was probably not considered a general a programming language when first created, however now it most definitely is.

Soldato
SQL and HTML for a start.

Neither are scripting languages, HTML isn't even a programming language and SQL is capable of Turing-completeness with minor extensions.

Edit because Wikipedia expands:

Turing-completeness in SQL is implemented through proprietary extensions, illustrating one of the reasons why relatively powerful non-Turing-complete languages are rare: the more powerful the language is initially, the more complex are the tasks to which it is applied and the sooner its lack of completeness becomes perceived as a drawback, encouraging its extension until it is Turing-complete.

Edit 2: I think people are getting way too hung up on Turing-completeness, it's not like it's the be-all and end-all of a language or even an indicator of its usefulness—you only have to look at Brain**** (which is Turing-complete despite only having 8 commands and being utterly unreadable).

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit 2: I think people are getting way too hung up on Turing-completeness, it's not like it's the be-all and end-all of a language or even an indicator of its usefulness—you only have to look at Brain**** (which is Turing-complete despite only having 8 commands and being utterly unreadable).
Well it's hardly surprising that a very small and simple language can be turing complete. I mean look at a Turing machine, there's hardly a lot to it (well nothing technically since they don't actually exist but you know what I mean).

Associate
just in case anyone was wondering.....

I was offered the job.

:)

I was about to say, to all the people jumping to shout 'You're such an fool for saying DOS is a programming language, hahaha' etc.

It was a simple error, an interview is rarely about finding out what languages know when it comes to systems (Unless they want a contractor or such for a fixed length project).
It's about the interviewee getting an idea on your approach to work/work ethic, your ability to do things for yourself, etc. Who cares what languages you know, as long as you understand the programming concept you can pick up new languages in no time. Hence the fact you were offered this job.

Well done!

Associate
OP
I will be part of a 3 man team, helping provide IT Support for 150 users based in a large office in basingstoke.

I start in a month, reallying looking forward to it!! (better than this Epos stuff i'm doing now!!)

Back
Top Bottom