"Double Tax" Query

4p

4p

Soldato
Afternoon. Did a quick search couldn't find anything.

Need some help and I'm going to put forward a hypothetical situation so..

Job 1: 17k Salary
Job 2: 6-7k est. Part time

How does tax work in that situation?

I cannot make sense of the info on HMRC :(

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Speak to your accountant, they'll be able to explain it.

Also, is the 1st job not part time as well if it's only £17k?

Soldato
You would pay exactly the same tax as if you had one job earning £23K.

You'll most likely need to let the employers know about the other job to ensure that your PAYE gets calculated correctly though.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
You'd get taxed as normal for those amounts?

Job 1 is the main job, and nothing else needs be considered. The second job will be taxed as a second job, so you need to inform the payroll department of that second job so they can adjust accordingly. :confused:

4p

4p

Soldato
OP
You would pay exactly the same tax as if you had one job earning £23K.

You'll most likely need to let the employers know about the other job to ensure that your PAYE gets calculated correctly though.

You'd get taxed as normal for those amounts?

Job 1 is the main job, and nothing else needs be considered. The second job will be taxed as a second job, so you need to inform the payroll department of that second job so they can adjust accordingly. :confused:

Contradictions here, no?

Soldato
Okay so would the following be right?

17k gets taxed to £14,514.72

6k gets taxed @ 20% to 4.8k

?

Indeed. Well at least that's what it suggests. I'm unsure if NI is also taken from second job though (I would assume it is).

You need to get a p46 form from second employer to let Hmrc know to allocate the correct tax code(edited first before you quoted sorry).

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Not contradictions at all. The second employer needs to know about the first job if the situation arose that your tax needs to change. The tax code for the second job is different, in your situation I would imagine it to be the BR PAYE code.

Soldato
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/check-multiple-codes.htm#4

Pretty sure it means job 2 would be subject to 20% tax on all of it as job 1 has already used the tax free allowance everything after that is subject to basic tax.

I think its p46 from the second employer to give to Hmrc and they'll allocate a different tax code to the second. Classing job 1 as your main employment.

First bit is spot on. As for the second job, it's automatically given the BR code and you don't need to do anything.

Soldato
First bit is spot on. As for the second job, it's automatically given the BR code and you don't need to do anything.

Arrgh thanks :) well I guess that makes it easier.

The p46 bit was grabbed from the money advise service.

make sure HMRC knows you have more than one job (when you start your second job, get a P46 form from your new employer. This should help HMRC allocate the right tax code) ,

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/pay-and-tax-when-working-in-more-than-one-job

Back
Top Bottom