Double up or Double down

Associate
Who knows when DDR5 is at reasonable prices and doesn't have latencies sucking more than vacuum.
Alder Lake leaks gave latency more than doubling from DDR4 Intels!
Also DDR3 and DDR4 had initially worser performance than high end "old gen" memory, but DDR5 is really taking the cake.

AMD might be actually waiting for DDR5 to mature more before bringing out Zen4 architecture.
And with Intel's new architecture already shown in Rocket Lake and only 8 big cores in Alder Lake, it really doesn't sound impressive release when AMD is at 16 full fat high performance cores.

I am waiting for DDR5, but apparently the performance gains of the first iteration will not be that substantial. Plus, you'll have to wait on AMD to release the Zen4 next year.

Yeh I'd expect the first wave of DDR5 to be very expensive, and it'll probably have significant gains... in benchmarks. But in real use, probably little to no gains at all (possibly even losses, if that's even possible, depends on how it works I guess).

I expect it'll take a year or two before DDR5 becomes worthwhile. I agree with the person who said that I wouldn't be surprised if AMD purposely delayed adopting DDR5 just so they'd be able to release with some actual benefits. Though they released PCIE4 first, without anything much that actually benefitted from it. But then PCIE4 was fully backwards compatible with PCIE3, while I suspect that a DDR5 motherboard will not be compatible with DDR4 ram, so there's a fairly big difference.

Yeh I'd expect the first wave of DDR5 to be very expensive, and it'll probably have significant gains... in benchmarks. But in real use, probably little to no gains at all (possibly even losses, if that's even possible, depends on how it works I guess).
Bandwidth benchmarkets will go up and bandwidth depending stuff like massively multithreaded workloads benefit.
But at current latencies lots of single/low thread count workloads will take wrecking ball hit to face.
Going to be miracle if minimums won't drop in games with those 110 ns latencies in Alder Lake.

Probably that's why Alder Lake supports both DDR4 and DDR5 according to info we have.

Back
Top Bottom