DPD problem, oh great...now I find out what they are really like

Associate
The best way to get in contact with a real person at DPD is to just directly call their depots/distribution hubs and ask if they can patch you through to your local one or to CS.
Or put in correct tracking number but say that your postcode doesn't match. You'll be put straight through.

Associate
Last time I phoned DPD, when you have a query, they say "enter your parcel number" but then say "which is being delivered to ...". If it isn't, they ask you to press whichever key, so you press it, and are connected through.

Will try and find out if this still works.

Soldato
Last time I phoned DPD, when you have a query, they say "enter your parcel number" but then say "which is being delivered to ...". If it isn't, they ask you to press whichever key, so you press it, and are connected through.

Will try and find out if this still works.

Ah, right. When I last called, you could only get through if you had a calling card number :mad:

Soldato
Or just wait until your parcel is actually undelivered before complaining that it is undelivered?

We recycle tracking numbers, no doubt DPD do the same. Couple of million parcels a year, I have worked this one for 13 years. Imagine how long your tracking number would be. It is rather odd that such a new number would be reused though.

Associate
Call 01162501643 [the free alternative to their 0844] (during business hours) and just type in a random 10 (ish) digit number (usually I type 12345678910) then they can't find your parcel so transfer you.

Associate
Soooo...

Placed an online order tonight from Amazon with prime deliery (don't worry, nothing computer related :p)...delivery set for tomorrow.

Received an email to say it's been dispatched and coming with DPD.

Checked my tracking information...

Your parcel was delivered on the 24th April 2012.

Great.

Amazon have said they will ask DPD to deliver tomorrow and gave me the number of DPD and the consignment number.

Helpfully DPDs menu consists of an automated number telling you the tracking information (delivered in April) or putting you back onto the retailer and hanging up...I hate automated systems that do that! :mad:

So...what can I expect now, is there any way of actually speaking to a person at DPD and getting it delivered tomorrow?

Cheers.

Hey, is this matter in hand, or do you require some assistance? Drop me a line if you need help - [email protected]

Cheers.

Soldato
It's a recycled consignment number. We have to recycle consignment numbers or they would be hundreds of thousands of digits long.

Rubbish.

Why would they need to be hundreds of thousands of digits long? Even if it was just 6 numbers long that would give you a million deliveries before you had to reuse one.

Introduce letters into the mix and you can make it even shorter or increase the amount of possible codes, whilst not having to use the same one for decades.

For example, a code like formatted like this 'ABC123' would give you 17.5 million unique consignment numbers, add 1 more digit on the end at you've got 175 million iterations. Now I'm not sure how many parcels are delivered by one company in a year but I'm pretty sure it would take a fair while (certainly more than 6-7 months) before you'd have to re-use one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rubbish.

Why would they need to be hundreds of thousands of digits long? Even if it was just 6 numbers long that would give you a million deliveries before you had to reuse one.

Introduce letters into the mix and you can make it even shorter or increase the amount of possible codes, whilst not having to use the same one for decades.

For example, a code like formatted like this 'ABC123' would give you 17.5 million unique consignment numbers, add 1 more digit on the end at you've got 175 million iterations. Now I'm not sure how many parcels are delivered by one company in a year but I'm pretty sure it would take a fair while (certainly more than 6-7 months) before you'd have to re-use one.

I think there's limitations on the format and code they can use...

It's not as simple as just an ABC123 code, it tends to have to have certain parts in the code that match, and at a guess, I'd also say all delivery companies have to use different code structures (seeing as my iPad seems to be able to know which website to track when I get an email saying 'you're item has been shipped, your tracking number is ABC123)

kd

Back
Top Bottom