Dr Drop air pressure test question.

Associate
Hello, I've been using the Dr Drop tester and I have a new to custom water cooling question. If I pressure it to 0.5 bar, should it stay at that level for ever? The instructions say just to test for an hour, but I have left it for 24 hours and 48 hours on a few occasions. I've also separated the loop into component parts for pressure testing; ie, CPU and VRM on Mobo, both GPU,the reservoir. I have had very slight pressure loss over 24hr and 48hr periods, I'm wondering if the pressure is escaping through the Dr Drop? I had some connectors fail, which I've RMA, and I'd like to see if anyone can offer any wisdom on this.

Soldato
Dr Drop has been known to leak, but by leak I mean a noticeable pressure drop within half an hour so you can't tell if it's a fitting or the tester. I built my own and testing individual components I've seen a fractional drop over 24 hours. Unless you're talking aerospace-level kit, I don't think we're going to see air pressure hold steady forever.

So if you're pressurised to half a bar, how much of a drop are you seeing over 24 hours?

Soldato
Dr Drop has been known to leak, but by leak I mean a noticeable pressure drop within half an hour so you can't tell if it's a fitting or the tester. I built my own and testing individual components I've seen a fractional drop over 24 hours. Unless you're talking aerospace-level kit, I don't think we're going to see air pressure hold steady forever.

So if you're pressurised to half a bar, how much of a drop are you seeing over 24 hours?

Mostly it leaks where the fitting joins the G1/4, not sure if the surface isn’t ideal but a tight seal and slightly bigger o-ring was all I needed for mine to seal. I don’t think I had any big drops but I didn’t test for 24hours to be fair, I’m not sure if temperature changes in the room would cause the pressure to fluctuate over that period also.

Associate
OP
Aye, 8psi down to just above 7 psi in over 24 hours. I'll just wait until a few extension cables arrive so I can hook up all fans and lighting, then I have 5 litres of distilled water here, I'll test it the old fashioned way.

Associate
OP
So I'm running the loop for about 4hrs now on distilled water, machine shows no leakage, blue roll bone dry. I was suspecting failure on the part of the Dr Drop, you have helped confirm my suspicions, and so far, proved them correct. Thanks for the input!

Soldato
So I'm running the loop for about 4hrs now on distilled water, machine shows no leakage, blue roll bone dry. I was suspecting failure on the part of the Dr Drop, you have helped confirm my suspicions, and so far, proved them correct. Thanks for the input!
Don't forget to check tomorrow in case there's a slow leak. Inspect fittings for weeping too. Should be fine though!

Back
Top Bottom