Dr & Herbs refund

Associate
Hi Folks,

After a years worth of diagnosis for a stomach complaint I finally got the diagnosis of IBS (fun!). There's not really much in the way of medication to help with this, just an amendment of diet etc.

However, I decided to try and see what the Dr & Herbs Chinese medicine place can offer me as they had big posters in their windows stating they can cure IBS!

I went in and booked an initial 6 week treatment on acupuncture, herbal teas and tablets. After 1 week of the teas, tablets and one session of acupuncture they said that my condition was worse than they thought and that I should have another 6 weeks of treatment taking my total to 12 weeks. They basically said that without this I wouldn't get better. The total cost to me for this 12 week treatment so far is £900.

Now, six weeks in I have noticed no difference. I asked my doctor what his thoughts were on alternative medicine and he said there's no proof that it works and there could be side affects etc. With this info and the fact that I am really busy at work at the moment so struggle to find the time to set aside for acupuncture (I have only managed to have 2 sessions) I have decided I don't want to continue with the treatment and want my money back for everything I have paid but not used (6 weeks of tea and tablets and 10 sessions of acupuncture). This is around £600. I went to the shop today and they seemed like they wouldn't even consider giving me my money back. They kept saying "you'll be better after another 6 weeks just wait and see" and "your doctor doesn't know what he is talking about, everything we give you is fine". In the end I had to leave as I needed to get back to work.

What I want to know is what is my right to a refund. Surely I am entitled to the money I spend on the treatment I haven't used. Looking at reviews of the chain of shops there is a lot of talk of difficulty getting money back and overselling and forcefully selling items to people who are in a position to try anything to get better.

It's not the money that's the problem, I can afford to write it off (although a bit of extra brass in your pocket is always nice) however it's the principle.

What are your opinions?

Cheers

Matt

Soldato
Hi there,

No sure what to do regarding the Herbal stuff and the refund :(

I to have IBS, if you want to discuss feel free to add me to msn! (email in trust) , I've been living with it for a few years now.

Associate
OP
Thanks mate, I might take you up on that.

It's not the condition that is the problem really. I have found since stopping the treatment I have got better just by eating well. I think, if anything, this treatment stressed me out trying to find time to go to the shop to get more herbs, book acupuncture and fit the diet that they scheduled around my day.

What I really want from this thread is just confirmation of my rights as a consumer, surely I have to right to a refund if requested rather than being fobbed off.

Soldato

I'm highly sceptical. I have IBD (not IBS) and medically, there is no cure for IBD. If there was, I have no doubt, it would be out, and I don't mean in a health shop. I guess the best alternative medicine can do is make you feel better, but not cure you. Over the months and years, you will learn what your body can tolerate and not make you feel rubbish. I tried Reiki at some point - no evident improvement.

Associate
OP
Yeah I realise this, However I was only having a punt at first to see what is involved etc. I was happy to pay the original £400 to see how I got on. However, being sold the second course for £500 (this included massages that the first didn't so why was slightly higher) after only one week made me a bit sceptical.

I presume it could have a placebo effect on you, however, since I am a sceptic and was just testing it out I haven't noticed any improvement. There is a telephone number I can ring to enquire about refunds but I don't know how they will be able to verify what I have paid for and how much of the treatment I have used. Everything seems to be done on paper in the shop, there aren't any computers etc.

Associate
OP
Hi Folks,

Just bumping this. Does anyone know the specifics of rights of a refund? I just want to know what my rights are to get my money back before I go back to the shop and confront them again. I don't want to be fobbed off again so want all the info I need to help me out.

Thanks

Matt

Bar

Bar

Soldato
You should be entitled to a refund although this will come down to the terms and conditions that you signed up for. The company have not incurred a loss (such as buying in special equipment / treatments) and as such you have not severly inconvenienced them. As the treatment is over a long period of time they should not have lost too much business due to your bookings.

Your best bet as always is to try Trading Standards / CAB. Check the details of any contract / terms and conditions that you may have agreed to.

Soldato
Go to them and insist on a refund. You might have to be a bit pushy with them if push comes to shove. It depends on any terms and conditions you may have signed. Did they make you sign anything when you first asked for the treatment ?
If so look at that. If theres nothing there saying you cannont get a refund tell them you will go talk to trading standards see what their reaction is... if they dont give in. Go see trading standards.
Some shops panic when you mention you will go see trading standards

Soldato
Hi Folks,

After a years worth of diagnosis for a stomach complaint I finally got the diagnosis of IBS (fun!). There's not really much in the way of medication to help with this, just an amendment of diet etc.

However, I decided to try and see what the Dr & Herbs Chinese medicine place can offer me as they had big posters in their windows stating they can cure IBS!

I went in and booked an initial 6 week treatment on acupuncture, herbal teas and tablets. After 1 week of the teas, tablets and one session of acupuncture they said that my condition was worse than they thought and that I should have another 6 weeks of treatment taking my total to 12 weeks. They basically said that without this I wouldn't get better. The total cost to me for this 12 week treatment so far is £900.

Now, six weeks in I have noticed no difference. I asked my doctor what his thoughts were on alternative medicine and he said there's no proof that it works and there could be side affects etc. With this info and the fact that I am really busy at work at the moment so struggle to find the time to set aside for acupuncture (I have only managed to have 2 sessions) I have decided I don't want to continue with the treatment and want my money back for everything I have paid but not used (6 weeks of tea and tablets and 10 sessions of acupuncture). This is around £600. I went to the shop today and they seemed like they wouldn't even consider giving me my money back. They kept saying "you'll be better after another 6 weeks just wait and see" and "your doctor doesn't know what he is talking about, everything we give you is fine". In the end I had to leave as I needed to get back to work.

What I want to know is what is my right to a refund. Surely I am entitled to the money I spend on the treatment I haven't used. Looking at reviews of the chain of shops there is a lot of talk of difficulty getting money back and overselling and forcefully selling items to people who are in a position to try anything to get better.

It's not the money that's the problem, I can afford to write it off (although a bit of extra brass in your pocket is always nice) however it's the principle.

What are your opinions?

Cheers

Matt

I have (well used to have) IBS, as you were told, there is no cure, other than to change your diet and lifestyle.

If you want brutal honesty, despite the fact that your doctor told you that medicine wouldnt work, you decided to give the chinese method a shot.

The chinese practices are well known for saying anything needs a long and lengthy dose of treatment, i find they are good if you want something done like massage or acupuncture that works, but despite one or two sessions doing the job, they always try to force herbal stuff and repeat visits whether its needed or not.

I cant see how you would have any recourse unless they offered in writing a cast iron guarantee that they would fix the problem.

I dont know if you are fat and eat an unhealthy diet, my ibs cleared up when i lost weight and started exercising.

Associate
OP
I have (well used to have) IBS, as you were told, there is no cure, other than to change your diet and lifestyle.

If you want brutal honesty, despite the fact that your doctor told you that medicine wouldnt work, you decided to give the chinese method a shot.

The chinese practices are well known for saying anything needs a long and lengthy dose of treatment, i find they are good if you want something done like massage or acupuncture that works, but despite one or two sessions doing the job, they always try to force herbal stuff and repeat visits whether its needed or not.

I cant see how you would have any recourse unless they offered in writing a cast iron guarantee that they would fix the problem.

I dont know if you are fat and eat an unhealthy diet, my ibs cleared up when i lost weight and started exercising.

Hey,

I've always been fit (10,000 metre runner) and healthy. I find certain foods trigger reactions such as wheat etc so I jsut avoid them.

I am not looking at getting money back for the treatment that I have used. I'm not claiming I want my money back because what they said hasn't lived up to the expectations. All I want is the money I have paid for treatments I have not used and have no intention of using.

The advise from the doctor came after I initially signed up and had a few weeks treatment. I wasn't advised against it but did it anyway.

Thanks all

Soldato
I think I may have IBS too, must get around to speaking to the Doctors about it for a definitive diagnosis. Haven't managed to find out what foods trigger is - despite keeping a food diary - but have actually found that stress is by far a worse trigger than anything I eat.

Soldato
I think I may have IBS too, must get around to speaking to the Doctors about it for a definitive diagnosis. Haven't managed to find out what foods trigger is - despite keeping a food diary - but have actually found that stress is by far a worse trigger than anything I eat.

yes, best diagnosed as early as possible. My IBD appeared soon after a period of prolonged stress as well - new job, v. long commute, hating it, etc.

Caporegime
It's called "alternative medicine" for a reason, it doesn't work.

Saying that they can cure IBS is illegal, so you should have no problem getting your money back by contacting the appropriate authority, who hopefully will shut them down for their illegal practices.

Last edited:
Associate
If there was a guarantee that they worked then they wouldnt be selling these as 'alternative' treatments and you'd be getting them from your doctor.

Some of these treatments work for people, some dont - You paid your money and took your choice.

I'd chalk this one up as life experience and move on. Its a shame they didnt work for you (seriously), but dont bother chasing these people for money. You knew what you were doing when you signed up eh.... whether your admitting that to yourself now, or not.

Back
Top Bottom