Dreaded Kernel-Power 41

Underboss
Try a different PSU to rule it out but every Kernel 41 (x3) I've had has always been resolved by replacing the Corsair PSU.

Now I steer well clear of them.

Associate
OP
I would strip everything to the bare minimum, fresh install of Windows. Update the bios, restore motherboard defaults after bios update and see from there.

Still no joy, I would look at the motherboard.

Done all this already (Apart from physically stripping the machine)

Event viewer is showing WHEA errors which seems to indicate the motherboard.

Had someone on the microsoft forums check the WHEA dump and they reckon the CPU or MB is on it's way too.

Next step is to actually tear the PC apart, reseat everything, reapply thermal paste and go from there.

Edit. Took PC apart and it was pretty much immaculate. Reseated everything and no improvement.

Have a replacement MB on the way to test.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a look into this as I'm still having issues.

My board apparently doesn't have an option for LLC.

My DRAM voltage is already at 1.37 - I never changed this myself.

It does have an option for LLC, as I have the exact same board. Hang on, I'll have a squint and see where it is... Given the continuing problems, it's worth a shot, surely...

Associate
In 'Advanced mode' in the BIOS (on the Tomahawk board), click OC tab, then scroll down to DigitALL Power, LLC settings are in there.
Try Mode 1 for both CPU and SoC. I know it sounds daft, but maybe a Windows update has altered power draw or something, not beyond the realms...

Either way, hope you sort it soon :)

Associate
In 'Advanced mode' in the BIOS (on the Tomahawk board), click OC tab, then scroll down to DigitALL Power, LLC settings are in there.
Try Mode 1 for both CPU and SoC. I know it sounds daft, but maybe a Windows update has altered power draw or something, not beyond the realms...

This is a good suggestion.

Whilst OP is in the BIOS, they can temporarily turn off Turbo Boost for their CPU and only use the base clock as a next step of your step doesn't work.

A friend of mine had this similar issue and I found that his CPU used this feature, turned this off and it was resolved.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Thanks, I've found this and I'm testing now.

Edit. Unfortunately, no change.

This is a good suggestion.

Whilst OP is in the BIOS, they can temporarily turn off Turbo Boost for their CPU and only use the base clock as a next step of your step doesn't work.

A friend of mine had this similar issue and I found that his CPU used this feature, turned this off and it was resolved.

Is this specifically called Turbo Boost? I've got a big 'Game Boost' button in the BIOS that has always been off, and digging through the menus I've found a 'Precision Boost'.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried running single sticks of ram to rule that out? Ram tested fine in memtest when I had the same too.

It was a while back in DDR3 days but same issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you tried running single sticks of ram to rule that out? Ram tested fine in memtest when I had the same too.

It was a while back in DDR3 days but same issue.
Just tested now - exact same issue regardless of which RAM stick is installed.

I have a spare GPU in this machine I can test to rule that out.

I have 2 x m.2 drives in the problem machine that I can probably test one at a time to rule those out.

I might have a spare CPU cooler to test although I've been staring at HWMonitor when the machine crashes and the temps are fine.

Only thing I can't reasonably test now is the CPU.

Ship of Theseus incoming.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I have now tested both m.2 drives independently, and also tested a separate GPU. No improvement.

New motherboard, new PSU, GPU is fine, drives are fine, tested both RAM sticks.

So either both of my RAM sticks are having the same issue, or this is a CPU issue - I think?

Associate
OP
An update for anyone who finds this thread in the future - sent my CPU back to AMD who apparently agreed it was faulty and have sent me a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom