Dreamhost

Soldato
Anyone used Dreamhost?

Thinking about using them to just host large files away from my main site.

Do you think this is a good idea? Have one in the UK for all the XHTMl, PHP, MySQL etc and use the Dreamhost USA for large files?

Cheers,

Soldato
As a general host they're alright. At least I didn't have any problems with them.

However, it's probably not a good idea to use them for file storage as they severely cap your bandwidth. When I used them, the fastest I could upload via FTP was 5Kb/s. (on a 16MB/1.3MB connection). Then downloads were capped at like 15Kb/s.

I'm also pretty sure they do specify in their terms and conditions that you cannot use your account as a remote hard drive

Associate
As above, while Dreamhost are "OK" to host a small site, the fastest I've ever been able to download a file from sites hosted there is 50KB/s (even slower if 2 people are downloading at once, usually half or less) - not quite sure how they get away with offering "5TB" a month when if you transferred solid for a whole month at the 50KB/s cap they appear to have set it's only ~127GB.

Plus yeah, it's seems to be against their terms of service:

The customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Web Hosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions. Data uploaded must be primarily for this purpose.. DreamHost Web Hosting servers are not intended as a data backup or archiving service. DreamHost Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the backups/archives at their discretion. If you exceed your allocated transfer bandwidth for a month, you will be billed at the rate of $1 per additional 10GB.

Associate
I use dreamhost, and have about 10GB of mainly pics on there. Never had or noticed a problem with speeds. Normally upload at night so don't watch the speeds. I keep all my pics online as a backup, but get round the terms by having a gallery there. Least I like to think I'm ok.

Their support is generally pretty good, when I have had few problems they answer swiftly, and had some downtime int he last year but they credited my account in compensation.

Soldato
They're excellent for most purposes since they give you a lot of control over your space (SSH access, ability to install custom versions of PHP, etc.) and their support is pretty good.

I host several sites with them and haven't had any problems so far.

If you need top-notch reliability and speed though, I'd steer clear.

Associate
Ive had dreamhost for a few years now, speeds are great for the price. Definately not capped at all! Ive got over 300Gb of storage space as it grows every month! Bandwidth too! I barely use it as well :s

Back
Top Bottom