Drill Rap - innocent or guilty?

Soldato
OP
You would have to ban violent films, violent games and you would also have to ban most of the above genres. What about genres from other countries? Where does it end? The police should concentrate on crimes where there is enough reasonable enough suspicion to warrant arrests, and the gov't needs to draw in younger MPs to get a better view and understanding of the younger generation. This whole surveillance culture and nannying is getting old.

Well, I suppose the difference between things like violent video games and movies, is that generally they're based on fiction, or depict historical events - in the case of the Drill Rap one of it's main aims is to identify, target and threaten other gangs and their members, they identify individuals directly and threaten to take violent action against them, which is an aggravating factor compared to most other genres of violent music, which don't explicitly do that.

Despite my deep hatred of governments, regulation and censorship - I have to try and weigh up which is worse, in this case it's Drill Rap vs government control and bans vs freedom of speech.

To me, from a high-level view, it seems that the proposal for a ban is coming from people who can't see the wood for the trees, in the sense that - the main cause of the problem [gangs and gang violence] is forgotten or cast aside, and instead they try to go after all of these little symptoms of a bigger problem, rather than focus on the original problem, almost like they're trying to go for low-hanging-fruit. Like trying to ban knives - impossible, now trying to ban music - again impossible.

To me, if they focussed on the societal issues that cause young kids to want to be in gangs, that would kill all the birds with one stone, but with the quality of people in government, at this time - I expect nothing other than total failure, incompetence, stupidity, financial waste, poor ideas, no delivery, statements of nonsense and outright lies and spin-doctoring.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've listened to the OP's drill links, and to me, it sounds to me like trap. You see a lot of it on Soundclick. Maybe drill is a regional thing or sub-genre, but it definitely sounded like trap to me. While it's not my cup of tea, I think that the gov't cracking down on in seems a bit heavy handed imo. You would have to ban violent films, violent games and you would also have to ban most of the above genres.

I think you're missing the point a bit, we haven't had a crack down on the music general there have been restrictions placed on a particular group as a result of a specific incident where they were arrested with weapons. Talking in general terms about violent films, video games isn't particularly relevant here - drill music still exists, it can still be viewed on youtube, it isn't banned... there has been a specific action taken in response to an armed gang being caught red handed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...d-from-making-music-due-to-threat-of-violence

In what is being described as a legally unprecedented move, members of a group called 1011 have been banned from mentioning death or injury, and from mentioning named postcodes in a gang context.

They must also notify police within 24 hours of releasing new videos and give 48 hours’ warning of the date and location of any performance or recording and permit officers to attend.

[...]

Yonas Girma, 21, Micah Bedeau, 19, Isaac Marshall, 18, Jordan Bedeau, 17, and Rhys Herbert, 17, all from west London, are serving jail or detention sentences of between 10 months and three-and-a-half years.

They were arrested in Notting Hill, west London, last November while armed with three machetes, a large knife and two baseball bats, along with masks, balaclavas and gloves.

The five men told Kingston crown court they were about to make a drill music video, but police believe they were about to launch an attack on members of a rival group called 12 World.

The court heard that members of 12 World had threatened Micah Bedeau’s grandmother after she entered Shepherd’s Bush, which they regarded as their territory.

A video of the incident was uploaded onto YouTube. In the clip, played in court, they said: “Micah come get your grandma, she’s lacking [without protection] on our strip. You’re lucky I don’t rock [punch] her face.”

Recorder Ann Mulligan issued the criminal behaviour order at the request of the police. It is active for three years. The judge said their arrests averted a “very serious violent incident” between two gangs.

It also prevents the men from making any reference to the death of Teewiz, the nickname of Abdullahi Tarabi, 19, who was stabbed to death in Northolt, north-west London, in April last year.

the sentences, as per usual, are a complete joke...

Caporegime
Drill rap is just an expression of the underlying gang culture, if you ban it you're not suddenly going to get rid of gangs and the violence they bring. It's just an easy scapegoat to point to to distract from having to look at the complex underlying issues.

Caporegime
Most of the ' gangstas ' in those vids would have dark patches running down their leg if a gun was pointed at them.

Kids today.

this is the problem with todays society.either out of touch or have no idea.the kids have guns.in notts for eg last few days kids at 13 with guns shooting people.many of the people in the videos pulled off youtube have shot people or killed people or are involved with it.its not make believe.its happening.thats why the videos are pulled.

thing is many middle class people think its not happening its a act .yes some will jump on the band wagon but..in bad areas its happening as said in the videos. people dont want it to escalate so they trying to get these videos offline. to stop promoting what is happening. the sad thing is some of the music is really good.

big problem at hand but hiding it or removing it isnt solving it.

Soldato
So what you're saying is you're an idiot?

Music doesn't cause violence but this music is a tool used by gangs.

They threaten specific people and other gangs, brag about crimes etc and publish it.

The other side responds and sooner or later lyrical statements overflow into violence. It's not judt some people looking to be musicians.

This isn't "music" for music's sake sigma as I'm sure you know. It's more how gang tags and murals are to art. Yes theyr e drawings but the point is to send a message.

Rap music has been doing similar for years. You've made a lot of assumptions from my post and also a pointless personal attack. Well done.

Soldato
Exactly. You are right. I'm not saying the police were scared I said a member of public was scared and called the cops and wrongly reported a firearm.

You're absolutely right that its not down to the cops to say "it's okay theyre just filming a video there's no firearm" it's down to the guy who's scared and watching from his window and wrongly reporting a firearm just because he's assuming they've got a gun just because he's been brainwashed into thinking 15 black boys in a park will have a gun on them.

If I saw a group of teenagers in balaclavas and macs doing drill rap in a park I wouldn't assume that they were in possession of a firearm, but they probably could get hold of one in a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom