Drinking alone, Is it ever a good idea?

Soldato
If I lost mine I know I'd fall down a very deep hole, there's no way around it. Biggest condolences to you, hope things get better.

Drink for enjoyment, not to numb. Look for the good things. Force yourself to try some new things. Good luck.

Caporegime
probably how one would end up dead and undiscovered surrounded by lager cans and bottles of urine.

at-least go to the pub or somewhere with other people

Soldato
Time is a healer. While you'll never forget, the pain you're going through now will get easier, and that's guaranteed.

This is the most useful point in this thread. Whether it is 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 10 years. Time always heals.

Stick with us, OP.

Soldato
Its something i do ,wine and listen to and watch music videos ,I get a predictable high from alcohol but if i overdo it i get a massive mood hangover so i limit my stock of booze and also limit the days i do it.
I went down the road of legally mimicking ****** ,terrible idea and the 6 months ive just had had on sick was related to this

Soldato
Sorry for your loss OP.

Try reaching out to professional groups who can help you try and cope with bereavement. Its very tough i know.

Definitely wont get any help from a bottle my friend.

Take care...

Soldato
Ever since my partner died last year on the 1st of July 2 days after the birthday i've been sat here lost and can't get over it. I don't really know how to cope with life anymore tbh.
More events have happened but that's the big one, Therapists can say move on etc but the hole is always there isn't it.

My partner is seeing a grief therapist at the moment. They absolutely do not just tell you to move on. Speak to your GP and try to get a referral. If you can afford it, go private.

The reason for her requiring grief therapy is that a much loved family member drank themselves to death.

Watching someone's body get destroyed by alcohol is absolutely horrific. If you have a habit, get help now.

Soldato
I'm really sorry to hear this, losing my partner is one of my greatest fears. As others have said time is a healer but you should really invest in some self care if you want to move forward (not necessarily on). Have a drink sure, but if you are drinking more than you did 3 years ago you should really rain it in. Don't neglect your diet, get out walking (audiobook on your phone so you are not just with your thoughts), 4-7-8 or box breathing (look them up) get a routine and stick to it, find an activity that tires you out physically so all your energy isn't focused on thinking.

Drinking will only slow the healing process, you can be sad (there isn't anyone who wouldn't be) but don't neglect yourself, I'm sure you know what is a sensible limit. You need professional help and if you are thinking about turning to drink you should let them know, they will be able to help I can guarentee.

Soldato
Ever since my partner died last year on the 1st of July 2 days after the birthday i've been sat here lost and can't get over it. I don't really know how to cope with life anymore tbh.
More events have happened but that's the big one, Therapists can say move on etc but the hole is always there isn't it.

As someone who did a lot of drinking on their own to avoid dealing with things I couldnt handle, I don't recommend it. What happens is that your life starts to get smaller and smaller until it's just you in a room with a bottle, and if you make it out of that you have to rebuild the whole thing anyways.

Trust me when I say you are much better off speaking to a therapist (who would for sure never tell you to just 'move on') where you could learn to handle these feelings as time passes, because alcohol is a pretty crap therapist in my experience. You end up with more problem and regrets than you started with.

Associate
Sorry for your loss. It's definitely not a good idea, drinking alone can very quickly become a habit and progressively get heavier and more frequent as I've experienced and seen first hand. Perhaps try and seek company and find other more positive things to occupy you? Grief is one of the most challenging things to cope with. I wish you all the best OP.

Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with drinking alone under the right circumstances. But these are not those circumstances. Drinking alone here will only make it worse. I'm sorry for your loss.

Soldato

You are self medicating. There are better medications out there should you need them. Talk to your GP. I’m sorry for your loss, losing a partner in such a fashion would be devastating and I don’t think you should be close to over it yet, coping strategies can be useful, alcohol is not one of those things imo

Associate
It will get easier as time goes by. It may take about 3 or more years although you will never forget but life gets more bearable.

I'd suggest seeing your GP if you are depressed, they might be able to prescribe you with some fluoxetine or something to help with things. Go on long walks keep active and try not to stay in the house for long periods of time. You can't just move on but there are things you can do to help yourself cope better.

Soldato
If you go to the doctor with depression and alcohol dependence good luck getting a firearms certificate in the future.

He’s right, don’t seek professional help for a real issue because you won’t be able to play solider in years to come… not a very helpful comment!

As others say, time will help. My father died some years ago and it gets easier to cope with. I however do have a few solo whiskies now and then (especially on his birthday and Chrismas) to remember him. Drinking alone can be great, let’s you think and let’s you remember. But don’t overdo it. And remember to also talk to other people about it. I didn’t know anyone who shared my grief at the time and it was hard. I now make a point of telling people I’m here to talk if I know they are in a similar situation.
Trust always open as well should you ever want to talk to a stranger.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Nope, get outside and go for walk, go out on your pushbike if you have one, sign up for a parkrun and make the effort to go to one. borrow a dog for a hr or something.

Sat at home on a chair drinking is not helping you in the slightest and only you can pull yourself out of the hole, people can help when you get stuck but its down to you and you alone to sort yourself out. Exercise is a huge huge part of that.

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear of your loss. Taking to drink especially alone can lead to a black hole which you may never get out of. I know what can happen and don’t wish that on anyone.

It is not too late to see your doctor or have bereavement counselling. Don’t put if off and get on the phone today.

Back
Top Bottom