Dripping bathroom extractor fan

Soldato
OP
Thanks @Mysterae_ I really appreciate your help as I’m a bit of an anxiety sufferer and I like things to be done right.

We haven’t noticed any smells but it is early days. Tbh i’m not sure I want to get the same guy back. I know another plumber so I might ask him to resolve the issue. Our loft is a nightmare as it’s quite narrow at the edges of the house and he was a big guy so this might be what put him off. I’d rather have a proper overflow out of a soffit any day of the week.

It looks like you’ve done a good job on yours anyway. Good job you spotted the error.

Last edited:

~cw

~cw

Associate
First off, you want to avoid using the fan while water is coming through. I was in a place once which started to get water ingress - the vent pipe was dislodged and water was coming in whenever it rained through a gap in the tiles, then coursing down the side of the tubing and eventually getting in through the fan. It killed one new extractor fan motor completely and severely damaged a second until I finally disconnected and electrically isolated. Danger is that you keep on tripping the RCCD for that circuit, you ignore it and keep on making a dangerous circuit live.

Needed a roofer to fix the tiling and had better extraction vent tubing fitted. A shame it killed one extractor fan. This is also why it's useful to have your extractor fan on a separately isolator circuit.

Back
Top Bottom