Driver Licence Entitlement

Associate
Hi Guys/Girls,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me with my drivers licence entitlement. I'm looking at getting back into biking(did CBT March 2014) and hopefully do my full bike test. I'm hoping to get some training done myself before I seek profession training. I've had a look on the Drivers Licence website but its still unclear on what I can do.

A little background
Passed car test 06/02/01
Did CBT March 2014(now expired)

Now am I right by assuming I can ride a bike with less than 50cc right away as my CBT I did in 2014 is valid for the life of my car licence and If I would like to ride a 125cc I will need to do another CBT? I've added a screenshot of my licence from the Drivers Licence website

http://i68.tinypic.com/24d0kns.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Soldato
Correct, you can ride a 50cc moped without L plates without another CBT. However... Don't! :D

You passed your driving test from 1 February 2001
You must complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course to activate your full moped licence after you pass your car driving test.

If you have a valid CBT certificate when you pass the car driving test, it activates your full moped licence immediately.

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take the full moped test.

You can ride mopeds for as long as your car driving licence lasts.

Get a 125cc at the very least. You'll need to do another CBT to do this as you've said.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that. I was pondering of the idea of a 50cc as I've got some quiet rounds near me where I can slowly build up my confidence again. I remember struggling when going round corners on my CBT as I kept on thinking the bike would topple over. Its a shame there isn't a non public area where I could spend a few days doing some basic bike manouvers. I'd really love to get a full bike licence but do feel I need to get my confidence up

Soldato
50cc biking will do nothing to prepare you for 125cc or the full-on big bike training, really.
Just go all in from 125cc and through to (I assume?) Direct Access. The instructor is there to give you all the help and confidence you need, but with the added benefit of someone else looking out for you.

Associate
OP
Well the plan is to do a direct access course but don't know if I could make the jump straight away. To be honest I probably wouldn't need too much training, I just don't want to do another CBT without feeling comfortable on a bike again

Soldato
Part of a CBT is becoming (more) comfortable on a bike, is it not? I'd say 100% absolutely do another CBT and get a geared 125. Ride that for a few months before going for Direct Access. I had my 125 for 8 months or so before i went through the 'accelerated access', which was 47bhp restricted for 2 years before doing Mod 1/Mod2 again to get full unrestricted entitlement.

I remember coming away from my CBT not confident at all; the geared bike I used was absolutely horrendous and I kept stalling it. Got home, went out on my own geared 125 and it was so, so much easier. From then on, confidence and more importantly experience built up very quickly..

Please don't go 50 cc.. :eek:

Soldato
I'll back what everyone else has said... Don't go the 50cc route.

I started on a 125cc, admittedly terribly, but that is what the CBT is about, getting better. I would get a 125cc, because you can get into cornering properly, unlike 50cc, and gain a lot more confidence. Once your confident on a 125cc, 600cc bikes are easy to deal with. :)

Soldato
To be honest I probably wouldn't need too much training, I just don't want to do another CBT without feeling comfortable on a bike again
The course will start with at least 1 day on a 125, covering and re-covering all the basics and getting you confident. You'll then do all this stuff again, but on a big bike. There's nothing in the full test that isn't covered by CBT, you just do it on a bigger bike to a higher standard.
A 125 is far easier to ride than a 50 and, once you understand the basics, a big bike is far far easier to ride than a 125 - The weight helps your stability like you wouldn't believe!!

Associate
OP
Thanks for all replies. I've booked my CBT on a geared 125cc for the end of this month and have also booked my bike theory test. I'm hoping that once I've done my CBT i'll get myself booked in for my DAS. I'm not too sure whether it would be better to get myself a 125cc or use that money for a DAS course(roughly £800) then buy a bigger bike

Last edited:
Soldato
A 125 would be a step backward at that point and an annoying PITA... Save for a decent big bike. Doesn't need to be anything special. Bandit, Hornet, general 600cc sort of thing.

Associate
OP
What normally happens after the CBT in regards to doing the DAS afterwards? I assume doing a one day CBT then going onto a 4 day DAS would be a huge jump? Does the DAS have to be done in a 3 or 4 day course or could I spread the training over a few weeks? I remember when I did my last CBT I struggled with corners and leaning into them. Just don't want to waste my money doing a DAS if its going to be too big of a jump.

Thanks

Associate
Save your money and opt for a big bike to begin with mate. I had never been on a motorbike before I did my CBT, but did that, the theory then the DAS in quick succession and never looked back.

Man of Honour
What normally happens after the CBT in regards to doing the DAS afterwards? I assume doing a one day CBT then going onto a 4 day DAS would be a huge jump? Does the DAS have to be done in a 3 or 4 day course or could I spread the training over a few weeks? I remember when I did my last CBT I struggled with corners and leaning into them. Just don't want to waste my money doing a DAS if its going to be too big of a jump.

Thanks

The DAS for the most part is exactly the same as the CBT in terms of the MOD1 and to be honest a big bike is a much nicer place to be and easier to ride. The MOD2 part is just a nice leisurely ride out on the road so again as long as you're not an unsafe menace it's not a problem.

There's no need to cram in all into consecutive days though I had mine spread out over a couple of weeks.

Associate
OP
Just a small update. I completed my CBT on a geared bike yesterday and am going to look at a Yamaha YBR125 tonight. I will book myself in for my DAS for the 1st week of August(hopefully will pass my theory on 6th April). The instructor went over a MOD1 test but I felt that I need more practice with my slow maneuvers, hence me wanting to practice on a 125.

What do you guys think of the Yamaha ybr125? I've checked out insurance and its only £93 a year TPFT

Man of Honour
Just a small update. I completed my CBT on a geared bike yesterday and am going to look at a Yamaha YBR125 tonight. I will book myself in for my DAS for the 1st week of August(hopefully will pass my theory on 6th April). The instructor went over a MOD1 test but I felt that I need more practice with my slow maneuvers, hence me wanting to practice on a 125.

What do you guys think of the Yamaha ybr125? I've checked out insurance and its only £93 a year TPFT

Did you try the slow maneuvers on a bigger bike? It's comically easier to do than on a 125.

I rode mine for around 6 months, it's not going to set your world alight but it'll do what you need it to without any complaints and it sips fuel like it's trying to save it for a rainy day.

Associate
OP
No didn't try on a bigger bike. I think I was over-thinking when doing some of the slow maneuvers which is probably why I was struggling. Hopefully a few months on a 125 will help me do the slow maneuvers without thinking too much

Back
Top Bottom