1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver Sweeper

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Loxa, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Loxa

Wise Guy

Every now and again i get a "Display driver has stopped working but recovered" error, im just wondering since i never removed old drivers or did a sweep this could be causing problems? Ive never used Driver Sweeper before so im wondering is it safe to give a try since people say dont mess with it

2. Bottle

Associate

I always install my drivers this way;

Check for latest update for Driver Sweeper (it's now called something else)
    Download latest drivers
    Uninstall current drivers (complete uninstall)
    Reboot into Safe Mode (without networking)
    Run Driver Sweeper
    Reboot into Normal Mode
    Install drivers
    Reboot

Always works for me

3. old gamer

Mobster

Ive used driver sweeper a few times and not had any problems

4. Orcvader

Capodecina

Sounds a bit extreme. All I do is uninstall via Contral Panel, then Device Manager, reboot if asked, then install new drivers.

If it's Windows 7 it should be fine if you didn't uninstall the old ones when changing GPUs. 7 is pretty good at handling multiple GPU drivers.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Don't not use driver sweeper for Windows 7. So far of the people I've seen using it in Windows 7, it screw something up for them and most of them ended up having to reinstall Windows.

6. .Griff.

Mobster

I used Driver sweeper countless times, 20+, and it's never caused me even the slightest problem.

7. Phage

Wise Guy

No issues here either. In fact I found that, until 12.2, AMD drivers never fully unintalled themselves.

8. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Is for that for removing Nvidia or ATI/AMD driver? I think all the people I saw got problems were using it for removing ATI/AMD driver. The fact is while there may be no issue for you, but it did mess things up for quite a lot of people.

May be it is not the fault of Driver Sweeper itself, but something to do with AMD/ATI drivers instead.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. Orcvader

Capodecina

From what I've seen the people who get the most problems with Driver Sweeper is those jumping teams. Staying with the same GPU team seems to have no problems.

10. Howitzer

Wise Guy

I used it recently for the first time to clear out old AMD GPU driver and install the latest, having issues with all sorts of things since (not just with games, but with video editing software etc), even after rolling back to the old driver.

First time use, never gonna use it again.
    I've uninstalled and updated drivers before without issue but used it on recommendation. Now I'm gonna have to re-instal windows *sigh*.

11. mikeo

Mobster

I'm aware that there was a problem a while back (last year sometime?). When one release of Driver Sweeper when removing ATI graphics cards drivers, also removed some critical Windows 7 file :eek::eek::eek: The Author did promptly issue a fix and re-released Driver sweeper. Not sure if there's been any other problems since?

Mind you... All I do is just install over-top of my existing Nvidia drivers. Fingers crossed, it's been a fair while since I've had any graphics driver related issues. Though I'm first to admit that I only update drivers if necessary (IE. bug fixes, or definite performance improvements etc.).

12. .Griff.

Mobster

Nvidia.

13. spoffle

Capodecina

That's because they're not supposed to. The drivers are intended to be installed over the top of older drivers. Driver sweeper causes more problems than it's worth.

Some people might not have any issues with it, but they're lucky really.

14. MADMAN

Hitman

aint used driver sweeper in years, win7 is quite good at deleting the rubbish..... ccleaner cleans the rest :)

use ccleaner reg cleaner as well it really helps out.

15. Cods-Nostril

Gangster

yep as above....works for me so far